This is a very interesting hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony3d

Hi all, just two weeks ago I purchased my first radio for SWL, a Grundig 750 and instantly became hooked! So much so, that now I'm thinking about getting my technician's license for Ham Radio!! At 62 years old, I'm hoping I'm not to late LOL! I mean just looking at the radio's is confusing enough! Have absolutely no idea what half of the knobs, and buttons mean! I have always heard it's very difficult to get the license. Where does one start? What is a good beginner ham set? Was looking at the Yaesu FT-450D! My other problem would be the antenna. For my Grundig 750, I'm just using a 75 foot random wire along the top of my wooden fence, and up the trunk of a palm tree. It does very well. Living where I do our Homeowners association would not allow an actual aerial I don't think. I'll have to look into it. Are there any options to a tall antenna? Thanks.

mciupa

Living where I do our Homeowners association would not allow an actual aerial I don't think. I'll have to look into it. Are there any options to a tall antenna? Thanks.

Would they ban a flag pole?

You could secretly have it do "double duty".:wink:

People will admire the flag first before they even see an antenna attached to it or use the antenna itself as a flagpole. :)

Tony3d

Would they ban a flag pole?

You could secretly have it do "double duty".:wink:

People will admire the flag first before they even see an antenna attached to it or use the antenna itself as a flagpole. :)

Ok, that's pretty funny! Come on people shoot me all your idea's. I feel Until I get over this antenna thing, this may all just be a pipe dream!

kc9gld

Hello and welcome Tony, my name is Harley Patterson 20 miles northwest of Indianapolis in Lebanon Indiana. I've been a ham for only 12 years and am 57 years old. I have always regretted not becoming liscenced sooner. I was caught up in the CB Radio craze of the 1970's until about 1974 I moved to Short Wave Listening for many years. Hearing the Soviet jammers on their OTR antennas, foreign broadcasts, hams, etc.I could copy Morse Code about 10 wpm in 1975 when everything came to a screeching halt. I got married and she wanted me away from radio. I returned to studying to be a ham in 2003 and Technician in 2004.
Make this a reality, not just a dream. Go here and register to take practice exams: Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ.COM

Take 2 or 3 tests a day to familiarize yourself with the hobby and don't worry about a vertical antenna, there are MANY stealth antennas to either build or buy. As far as that goes, HOA's can be diverted legally if you hold a current liscence.

I looked at that Grundig, and that current antenna should work well, those frequencies below 30 mhz, elevation is not critical. Granted elevation helps take off angle, but for now continue using it. You might want to spin your Grundig to the 20 meter band, 14.300 mhz USB UPPER SIDEBAND and listen to them:
Maritime Mobile Service Network

You may hear me on there doing a relay. If you have access to a Yeasu 450D, that is a very fine rig, great audio and noise rejection. Your Grundig is capable of 10 through 160 meters. With that antenna length you should hear 10 to 80 meters. When I said meters, I dont mean mhz. To really clairify this ,
frequency allocation chart - Google Search

Start with 2 meters fm from a fixed location (base station) I would skip the handheld and go with a mobile, power supply, feedline, antenna, and liscence for under $500.00. Morse code is no longer required, 35 question test and I think you can miss 9 and still pass. You indicated palm tree, so Im assuming you are near a coast, do you have an old programmable scanner around to plug in your local repeater and maybe simplex frequencies? What city are you near? Do you know any local hams? After registering with QRZ, put your zip code in where you put a call sign to list all the hams in your area to see if you know anyone. Don't let this go by just as a dream, it's the best thing that has happened in my life, and have heard hundreds of hams say the same. There is always knowledgeable help on this forum. Again, WELCOME AND BEST OF LUCK! Harley

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Go to the Amateur radio site and read the various posts there. I also advice people interested in amateur radio to seek out local amateur radio clubs. OR at least an elmer that is in your area. Far too many people today memorize the on line tests and you can really tell when they get on the air. There is so much more to amateur radio than memorizing a few tests/answers. Listen to repeaters and HF nets, or rag chews that occur on there. You may even hear them talking about different radios and antenna set ups. The FT-450 is a good beginners HF radio. Although I do not have the ICOM 7300, this is also receiving great reviews. The FT-991 is also fairly good in that besides just HF bands, it is also a 2 m and 70 cm rig. Thus, I would say this is a good starter radio and as one progresses, and finds antennas that work one can go on to a dedicated HF rig that would probably be better for HF. But at least, with the FT-991 you would have HF, 2 m and 70 cms. Generally an all in one radio is not as good as dedicated radios, but this would save one from buying 2 radios. In most cases, an antenna is more important than the radio, so read and listen to what is available to your situation.

AC2OY

Tony your never too late. You can do it!!! I got into amateur radio at 47,48...? Now at nearly 52 years old I'm a extra,still have tons to learn but I'm having more fun then legally allowed!!! Do it man I meet amazing people on the air everyday.

Tony3d

Wow! What a great community! As I said, I'm just starting out with radio's. My Satellit 750 is my first experience with radio's since I was a kid using my dad's Knight Kit Shortwave set. In these past two weeks, I began listening to the Hams out there, and was amazed at some of the interesting conversation's, finding myself wanting to participate. Really love grabbing a cup of coffee, and hitting the tuning dial! Never thought I would get into this hobby. I love my hobby's, and I have my share of them. I'm into Astronomy, photography, I'm an audiophile, and electronic hobbyist! All this keeps me pretty busy, but I think I have room for one more hobby. Oh I forgot to mention computers. I actually turned that into my livelihood. I do 3D Computer modeling, and rendering as a business running out of my house for the past 16 years. I'm just hoping I have the time to study for this test. How do you take the test? Is it multiple choice... LOL!

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Go to following site and sign up to study and practice and you will definitely get your technicians license: HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests

Tony3d
I also recommend studying for you technician license. Not too difficult, and you can miss up to 9 of 35 questions. I am a ARRL volunteer examiner (VE) and just yesterday (Saturday afternoon) I was one of three required VEs who gave examination to 15 people taking tech exam. All studied on-line and/or used ARRL books. 14 of 15 passed. The other will be back. Doing another session today (Sunday afternoon) for 10 taking tech, 3 taking general, and one taking extra class license.
Great hobby. Started listening to short wave at age 12, got first ham license in 1962 at age 14. Now age 67 and still enjoying amateur radio. A great hobby.

Tony3d

Tony3d
I also recommend studying for you technician license. Not too difficult, and you can miss up to 9 of 35 questions. I am a ARRL volunteer examiner (VE) and just yesterday (Saturday afternoon) I was one of three required VEs who gave examination to 15 people taking tech exam. All studied on-line and/or used ARRL books. 14 of 15 passed. The other will be back. Doing another session today (Sunday afternoon) for 10 taking tech, 3 taking general, and one taking extra class license.
Great hobby. Started listening to short wave at age 12, got first ham license in 1962 at age 14. Now age 67 and still enjoying amateur radio. A great hobby.

Yes, really excited about it. Did a very little studying yesterday, and passed the practice test after 3 attempts mainly because a lot of the questions were related to electronics, one of my other hobby's LOL! I think this is doable!

Status
Not open for further replies.