Thouroghly disgusted

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

So I'm going into Yellowstone tomorrow (my bad timing) and I'm trying to configure my PSR600. I want to retrieve existing VFolders, add a Yellowstone Vfolder and transfer it to the scanner. There are no instructions with WIN500. Why would I pay for software that has no instructions. There is something by UtahRadio but it doesn't discuss how to manipulate the VFolders.
I then downloaded ARC500 which at least looked like it could deal with them. It downloaded everything fine. I went to VScanner Editor, entered Vscan mode, and clicked a folder, read from scanner and save. The progress bar proceeded but I keep getting a message there was an error receiving data string. So tonight I am dead in the water.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
So I'm going into Yellowstone tomorrow (my bad timing) and I'm trying to configure my PSR600. I want to retrieve existing VFolders, add a Yellowstone Vfolder and transfer it to the scanner. There are no instructions with WIN500. Why would I pay for software that has no instructions. There is something by UtahRadio but it doesn't discuss how to manipulate the VFolders.
I then downloaded ARC500 which at least looked like it could deal with them. It downloaded everything fine. I went to VScanner Editor, entered Vscan mode, and clicked a folder, read from scanner and save. The progress bar proceeded but I keep getting a message there was an error receiving data string. So tonight I am dead in the water.

Try PSREdit-500
PSREdit500 - Configuration Editor for the PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, and PRO-197 Scanners

737mech

Premium Subscriber
V folders

Open the v folder in win500, Send to scanner, it overwrites your current file. Then once it’s on the scanner select Funct PGM / STOR. Select what v folder you want to save it in down arrow buttons. Name the folder if you want? Press stor. Go back and load up your home regular file. When you head out there hit funct pgm load and down arrows to your v folder, it will ask overwrite? Confirm yes, reboot scanner.
So what I do is save my home file in v folder 1. Then out and away files in other v folders. When I get home I simply load v folder 1.

Last edited:

scanmanmi

Open the v folder in win500, Send to scanner, it overwrites your current file.
NOt sure what you mean. If I open Virtual Scanner what do I do next? There is nothing there so I don't know what to send to scanner. What do you mean it overrites my current file; in the scanner or disk? I hit refresh and get no response. I tried Load Config and it shows a sample.txt but when I open it it says file/... vs1.P500 does not exist vs2.P500 does not exist etc all the way trough vs20.P500.
Why does it say P500 when this is a PSR600?

Then once it’s on the scanner select PGM / STOR. Select what v folder you want to save it in down arrow buttons. Name the folder if you want? Press stor.
Do you mean using the buttons on the scanner?

Go back and load up your home regular file. When you head out there hit pgm load and down arrows to your v folder, it will ask overwrite? Confirm yes, reboot scanner.
So what I do is save my home file in v folder 1. Then out and away files in other v folders. When I get home I simply load v folder 1.

As you can see I need exact step b step instructions. I had this thing professionally programmed and I believe he saved my setup in V1. Isn't the current system in use V0?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Step-by-step instructions for using Virtual Scanner with Win500

To download existing Virtual Scanner folders.
  1. Plug in your scanner to the computer with the USB cable, make sure the scanner is turned on.
  2. Open Win500
  3. Go to Scanner > Virtual Scanner...
  4. Click on Refresh to get the current V-Scanner folders on the scanner, it might take a couple of tries.
  5. Check Read on the V-Scanner folders you want to download and open in Win500.
  6. Click on Done.
  7. Each V-Scanner folder should open in a new tab. You can save these as individual .p500 files.

To write a Virtual Scanner folder.
  1. Plug in your scanner to the computer with the USB cable, make sure the scanner is turned on.
  2. Open Win500
  4. Click on Refresh to get the current V-Scanner folders on the scanner, it might take a couple of tries.
  5. Check Write on the folders you want to replace. You will be asked for a .p500 file to save in that Virtual Scanner folder.
  6. (Optional) Change the name of V-Scanner folder as needed.
  7. Click on Commit to write to the scanner and let it run.
  8. Click on Done to finish.

To clear a Virtual Scanner folder.
  2. Open Win500
  5. Check Clear on the folders you want to erase.
  6. Click on Commit to write to the scanner and let it run.
  7. Click on Done to finish.

To access Virtual Scanners on the scanner itself.
  1. Make sure you have your current memory saved in a Virtual Scanner folder as this will overwrite your scanner and you will lose the current programming if it has not been previously saved.
  2. FUNC > PGM
  3. Use the menu to select Load, Store, or Erase.
  4. Use the up and down arrows to select the Virtual Scanner folder you want to use.
  5. F1 to Cancel or F3 to Select.
  6. Scanner will perform the selected operation on that Virtual Scanner folder.

scanmanmi

Wow Awesome job Spitfire! That's what I though and tried but it didn't work so I didn't know. When I click Refresh I keep getting an error although the comm seems fine as far as uploading and downloading other things. I tried clicking Read and Commit but still no response

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Win500 Stay With It!

I promptly threw my ACR 500 in the trash can where it belongs. If a cretin like me can understand Win500, there is hope. Since I don't seem to profit from experience, I bought ARC Pro for my 436HP. I still hate it. I've tried using it, but it seems to be over-processed or something. It frequently hangs up.

With ARC 500, you have different fields of vision you cannot access at the same time like you can with Win500.

I can see the TSYS (whatever they call it) and the associated talk groups below. You can clone & use those wonderful V-folders. I just wish the V-Folders were larger to accommodate statewide radio systems.

Good luck. Stick with it. If you look at the Easier Guide to the PSR 500/Pro-97/Pro-106, whatever, there are many references to the setting used with Win500. Go look. Technically, there are very specific instructions and/or references for making adjustments to the radio parameters, some for optimal performance.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Dyslexia

???
ACR500

Thanks for the info. When I searched for programs most comments are half dozen of one, six of the other. I would love to see a side by side comparison chart.

LOL. My dyslexia grows with the dropping of my eyes. Sorry, I meant Butel ARC 500.

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Wow Awesome job Spitfire! That's what I though and tried but it didn't work so I didn't know. When I click Refresh I keep getting an error although the comm seems fine as far as uploading and downloading other things. I tried clicking Read and Commit but still no response

I am not, but it could possibly mean some type of failure with the V-Scanner memory.

Something you can try checking for is to see if your CCDump or DSPDump features are turned on that might be causing it to have troubles communicating with the scanner. Win500 has it under "Extended Settings" on the right side as Dumping turnking data to PC/IF and Echo DSP comms to PC/IF. You access these on the scanner by going to PROG > FUNC > F3 (GLOB) and looking for both those settings at the bottom of the list.

A last ditch effort would be to manually load the V-Scanner after you program the scanner by using the FUNC > PROG menu. You would have to rewrite the scanner's memory with the program file you want to save, then using the V-Scanner menu to "Stor(e)" the program into a V-Folder. You will know something is wrong with the Virtual Scanner folders if this operation fails on the scanner itself.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
The original question by scanmanmi was about vfolders aka vscanners, you don't need to use software to use, create them. You can use the scanner interface itself.
Look at https://youtu.be/2YT2HgYKasA?t=500

Just don't overwrite the first one labeled... Backup, that is an extra copy I put in for you for MI. Since when you move vscanners you'll wipe out the programming in the main listening area.

Status
Not open for further replies.