THP Dispatch change

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
Received word yesterday that THP closed the Fall Branch Office as of 7am. All of the NE Tennessee THP Dispatching is now done from the new office at Strawberry Plains/Knoxville. I have also heard that they will be doing dispatch for TWRA from the same office if they didnt switch them yesterday as well.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
Yeah they went from 8 offices down to 4. Fall Branch and Knoxville together. This is the combined offices now from what I read.

Fall Branch ran from Knoxville
Lawrenceburg ran from Nashville
Memphis ran from Jackson
Cookeville ran from Nashville

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
THP Dispatch changes

I understood from prior information here that Cookeville (Dist 6) had been combined with Chattanooga (Dist 2).

Chattanooga does Cookeville district dispatch now. Good luck on trying to explain a location to dispatcher that don't have a clue of the counties that they dispatch for. The local trooper know the area so if you can get their dispatch to tell them what you say they or good. Where Cookeville dispatcher know the area and landmarks the Chattanooga don't know the community in the Cookeville area. I hate to be so negative about the consolidation of dispatch. But when you call to get a trooper and it take you 2 to 3 times as long to tell dispatch what you need this is not good.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, LOCAL Consolidation is a good thing! Up to the COUNTY level is awesomeness with hot sauce even. And yes I am all for saving money when it comes down to it. But at the STATE level, consolidation in the DPS world can be downright retarded, and potentlially dangerous! I can see combining DOT MAPs and Enforcement with your State Police/Highway Patrol dispatch centers, even combining all your DOT Ops with them especially if you have fully functional TMCs. But closing half of your operations down and consolidating them without having fully knowledgeable staff on the areas your now trying to combine and run is more of an Officer Safety and Civilian Protection and Service issue than an Hillary Clinton rally in the same town and time as an Donald Trump rally..... Everyone will be pissed off, and someone is going to get hurt. Yes, they gave the dispatchers and staff the option of moving to the new centers, but adding in an daily commute of that far is truly asking way too much on tight budgets.

Last edited by a moderator:

emcom

Heard an example of this today in Dist. 7 when a Hickman Co. trooper got in a pursuit and the Nashville dispatcher didn't seem to be familiar with the area at all. I was able to use Google Maps and follow the trooper. I knew where he was and I am in Alabama.
They were going to switch to Dispatch 2, but the trooper apparently didn't have time to take his eyes off the road to change channels. I don't blame him.
Changing channels while pursuit driving isn't a good idea. Normally all units not involved in a pursuit change channels and allow the emergency to take priority on the main channel.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Heard an example of this today in Dist. 7 when a Hickman Co. trooper got in a pursuit and the Nashville dispatcher didn't seem to be familiar with the area at all. I was able to use Google Maps and follow the trooper. I knew where he was and I am in Alabama.
They were going to switch to Dispatch 2, but the trooper apparently didn't have time to take his eyes off the road to change channels. I don't blame him.
Changing channels while pursuit driving isn't a good idea. Normally all units not involved in a pursuit change channels and allow the emergency to take priority on the main channel.

Yeah I think that's a stupid practice. All other ops should move to Disp 2. That's why fighter planes are told to "change to departure" (90% are single pilot) prior to their takeoff run so pilots don't have to switch when airborne.

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
I have noticed since the switch over that when a trooper does a traffic stop now they say 10-81 and the county they are in currently. They didn't do that before the merge of dispatch offices.

emcom

In D8 and D4 we would hear 88xx 10-81 45E 4 mile marker Weakley or 44xx 10-81 51 4 mile marker Obion and that is the way we still hear them.

Sometimes I hear the other districts calling out the county name. I always just assumed they must be working/stopping a vehicle outside their regularly assigned county.

Status
Not open for further replies.