THP Numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a breakdown on the THP numbering system? Thanks.

Each District has it set up where the first number of the radio ID is the same as the District number. Example District 1 (Knoxville) uses 1100 and 1200; Dist. 2 (Chattanooga) uses 2200, 2300, etc.
To explain further, I will use District 1 numbers as an example:
For the most part, the first 20 or so numbers (i.e. 1100-1120ish, 1200-1220) are for the command staff for the district with 1100 being the Capt., 1101+ for the LT. Sgt., etc. up to about 1122. Then the rest of the numbers are grouped into 10s (1130-1139) and are assigned to a specific county or counties within the district. Sometimes the numbers overlap counties (i.e. 1150-1169 covers Blount, Sevier, Loudon, Monroe counties and sometimes Roane) depending on the number of troopers on the shifts. The 1200 numbers (In Dist. 1) are usually Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, but can be used for road troopers as well.
Unit numbers that begin with 99XX are Critical Incident Response Team (CIRT) members and their main responsibility is accident reconstruction.
There are also 900 numbers that are Criminal Interdiction Teams (narcotics, etc) and there are usually 2 or 3 assigned to each district.

I see you are in Memphis, which would be District 4, and therefore the troopers in your district would have 4400 and 4500 numbers, as well as the 9900 and any 900 numbers.
And keep in mind that troopers travel all over the state for various training or other missions, so you may see/hear other numbers in your area as well. I know I see 55XX numbers (from Dist. 5 Fall Branch in northeast TN) around Knoxville on their way to Nashville quite often.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Does THP have any air assets, and if so, do they have a numerical designation or an "air" designation?

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Does THP have any air assets, and if so, do they have a numerical designation or an "air" designation?

They do have air assets but I'm not sure what their designation is. They used one recently for SAR in the Smoky Mountains to assist but I missed the traffic. I'll find out & let you know.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
Each District has it set up where the first number of the radio ID is the same as the District number. Example District 1 (Knoxville) uses 1100 and 1200; Dist. 2 (Chattanooga) uses 2200, 2300, etc.
To explain further, I will use District 1 numbers as an example:
For the most part, the first 20 or so numbers (i.e. 1100-1120ish, 1200-1220) are for the command staff for the district with 1100 being the Capt., 1101+ for the LT. Sgt., etc. up to about 1122. Then the rest of the numbers are grouped into 10s (1130-1139) and are assigned to a specific county or counties within the district. Sometimes the numbers overlap counties (i.e. 1150-1169 covers Blount, Sevier, Loudon, Monroe counties and sometimes Roane) depending on the number of troopers on the shifts. The 1200 numbers (In Dist. 1) are usually Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, but can be used for road troopers as well.
Unit numbers that begin with 99XX are Critical Incident Response Team (CIRT) members and their main responsibility is accident reconstruction.
There are also 900 numbers that are Criminal Interdiction Teams (narcotics, etc) and there are usually 2 or 3 assigned to each district.

I see you are in Memphis, which would be District 4, and therefore the troopers in your district would have 4400 and 4500 numbers, as well as the 9900 and any 900 numbers.
And keep in mind that troopers travel all over the state for various training or other missions, so you may see/hear other numbers in your area as well. I know I see 55XX numbers (from Dist. 5 Fall Branch in northeast TN) around Knoxville on their way to Nashville quite often.

Cool, thanks! I've never had them programmed before, but plugged them in for the heck of it and wanted to get an idea of their numbering.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
THP troopers who pilot the choppers & Cessna use their regular radio numbers. There, according to my information, are not any specific radio numbers assigned to each air unit.
Also some of the administration in Nashville (Office of Professional Responsibility, CID) use radio numbers such as "Car XX" as they are not assigned to any specific district.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.