THP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

Yesterday I heard one THP officer ask for a timer to be started as he exited the vehicle.
Dispatch replied 10 minutes started.

Any idea's on what they are referring too?

Is this a safety protocol on communications where nothing heard for 10 minutes results in a dispatch of other troopers to the site?

I have never heard this before, just curious.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I heard one THP officer ask for a timer to be started as he exited the vehicle.
Dispatch replied 10 minutes started.

Any idea's on what they are referring too?

Is this a safety protocol on communications where nothing heard for 10 minutes results in a dispatch of other troopers to the site?

I have never heard this before, just curious.

I've not heard a trooper ask for a timer to be started, but the local SO and PD do use timers. I do hear the THP dispatchers ask "Signal 21?" and the trooper replies "Affirmative".

SCPD

QRT
I recall way way way back NMSP would say that. If he didn't check in within 8 minutes or 5 and a single call to him was not answered everyone would go code 3. But this was well before the vrs pacs and extenders. Once those got utilized no timer was used. To me we are in a time where any officer should have a portable or microwave relay mic to dispatch off the camera system. It still boggles me many texas dps still have no portable. I know some will use microwaved wireless mic's along with mdt safety button on the computer to notify they are ok. But with how it is these days no thanks I'll take a pac or portable over a timer.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
There are actually still a few places that nothing can get out of comms wise. Very few true.. But till a few.

CCEMS703

Dispatch CAD systems have a timer on each unit. Some are set to automatically remind the dispatcher to do a status check after the set time after they arrived on scene. You may hear sometimes them say " no timer needed",or "turn my timer off". Some EMS dispatchers have it set up as well to notify EMS that they have been on scene for that set time.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
In the days before CAD, we actually had a windup kitchen timer on each console. We'd set it for 5 minutes whenever an officer called out on a traffic stop or suspicious condition. The tradition carried over in the CAD era where each event type could optionally have a timer on it.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Did this have anything to do with chase from Marshall county to Williamson county ?

I wouldn't think so because the member who started this thread is up in Newport, TN., and from the news report it looked like it was Williamson County S.O. that was chasing those people.

_Wilson_

Premium Subscriber
Ah i don't know why i didn't see that , lol , yeah Marshall lit um up on I-65 some where close to the 38 mile marker , i still haven't heard what was tossed out , i did hear they had 6 muary county units searching around the 38 mile marker, yeah Williamson S O caught them on Arno road , that's a dangerous road to have a high speed chase on . Not wanting to high jack the thread , so I'm off

Cheers

Last edited:

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
10 minutes is a long time for a traffic stop. Our traffic stops in Johnson City and Washington County are timed for 4 minutes. We then check on that unit until he acknowledges and then we check on them again in another 4 minutes. Only when an officer advises "Hold Checks" or Code 4 do we discontinue checking on them.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Yes ten is a long time for an solo stop. Usually you dont have that long on a stop unless you have backup and are doing an complete pull out/search. Usually a stop is only 5 minutes or so depending o how fast dispatch can get 27/28/29 data back on the computer. Now if your waiting for backup, or have arrests and need tow truck it gets longer lol. I personally would hate to have my officers having to wait on assistance. Now maybe if your the only trooper in area and things seem hinky....

n4yek

Did this have anything to do with chase from Marshall county to Williamson county ?
No it didn't, he was actually in my neck of the woods. The call came in on the old High Band VHF repeater because of bad coverage of TACN close to North Carolina state line on I-40.
Thanks for asking.
10 minutes is a long time for a traffic stop.
I thought so too, but that's what he asked for.
In the days before CAD, we actually had a windup kitchen timer on each console..
Hey what ever works... :lol:

Last edited:

K4ZXT

Premium Subscriber
As a dispatcher (not for THP), our law enforcement units had a 3 minute timer on any call they were on (traffic stop or otherwise). Any time we heard from the officer in any manner, we could reset the timer. When it expired, their unit would alternate red and white until we checked on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.