Thrift Store finds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a Radioshack Pro-2034 for $10 today. The thrift store had it in the as-is/broken section, I tested it with a power adapter at the store and it works fine, they just assumed it was broken because it didn't have a cord(which is a common barrel type that I already have).

I don't hold my breath when it comes to yard sales around here. Most of them usually consist of surplus baby stuff or 30 year old TVs. If they do have scanners/radios they are usually too overpriced to consider negotiating.

commscanaus

Salvation Army Thrift: AOR AR8000 missing the antenna. Labeled as "radio" for $20.

Pawn Broker: PRO2006 in mint condition. Labeled as "reciever- not works" for $50.
Bought for spares and to re-case a worn out original unit. Later found to be working perfectly!

Garage sale: Standard AX-700 in mint condition. Lady seller did not know what it was.
She took $50 for it and was overjoyed. Intended to re-sell it but held onto it as it is rare and kinda cool!

Always have look in thrift shops and yard sales, never know what you can find!

Commscanaus.

KB0VWG

Not really a thrift store find but at an Auction

Went to a county auction late last year and found a box of radios
4 Motorola Ht90
Motorola Gang Charger
2 Midland Lmr 1340 Mobile with mics and speakers
2 kenwood tk-730s Mobile with mics and speakers
1 Motorola Maxtrac with mic, remote head and speaker.
1 Ge vhf unit with mic and speaker
Several more external midland speakers.
All of this for the price of $5.00 and no I didnt do a typo on the price
All of these radios work fine except the potable radios the batteries were dead.

That was the best radio deal ever I think, pretty close to being free or maybe a steal.
73s
Michael
kb0vwg

K

kb0nly

Best find in all the years we have gone to garage and rummage sales....

Yaesu FT-101EE, was grandpa's CB radio according to the seller. They wanted $25, i looked at with partial interest, though i really wanted it inside, i said "it's pretty old, tube type even", seller said ok $25 and you get the other stuff that went with it, i just didn't want to haul it all out unless someone showed interest.

Got a FT-101EE, Speaker, D-104, YC-601 external display (awesome old nixie tube display) and 6m Transverter for it as well.

Sold it one piece at a time on eBay for over $700. I actually kept the radio and used it for a shortwave receiver for about a half a year before parting with it.

KB0VWG

My thift store find the other day were 2 Motorola M1225 Mobiles with Mics for the total of $8.00 Dollars. They have been programmed and are working great.
Michael

batrastard

I have found several interesting scanners over the years. Don't have model #'s with me, I found an old realistic four crystal pocket scan, back door missing and no antenna, I believe I paid 3 or 4 bucks for it. I dumpster dived at an estate sale for a 1980's desktop scanner, the box and owners manual were still together, I didn't pay anything for that one. A regency desktop scanner, paid 5 bucks for it, A realistic pro-2002 that came with several police call frequency manuals from the 70's. I also have 2-3 base units from the 80's pretrunking scanners.

freqs

I haul Dumpster's for a living and find all kinds of radio's scanners 2 way radio's shortwave most work some need tubes power cord's .I have found a Zenith Trans Oceanic T 600.Hallicrafter S 40 B .a West German made EMUD T7 .Robyn Hi Low Bander 8+8 .Regency Touch k100 .Uniden 210xw.Regency Monitoradio .Citi Phone CB .Cobra 138 all in dumpsters I have hauled to the lanfill Ive also found Guns coins Freq counters .Money a Car from the 30's was in a can I hauled

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Recently I have come into a few finds. First was a set of Sinclair BpBr 4can set with a split of about 450Khz, second was a set of Sinclair Res-Loc's 136-174Mhz 500Khz-80db isolation,both sets of cans came out of a decommissioned oilfield repeater site that is schedualed for descruction. Third was a MSR2000 found in a garbage pile tuned to 162Tx/167Rx with 146-174Mhz exiter/reciever and 162-174Mhz PA. Fourth is a DB products split 8-bay(2-4bay) 450-470Mhz light duty repeater antenna. Total cost $0 except for fuel to haul it away!!! Although not a thrift store find, it was a great bunch of scrounging!!!

R1VINCE

These are some of my deals if come across over the years.

BCT15: $75
Lady posted it in craigslist. I jumped on it. When i got there, she told me it was from a previous tenant of her rental and the couple split and wife was tryin to get rid of this stuff to pay the remaining balance.

PRO2006 - $25
craiglists - Flawless condition. Guy said it was his brothers and that he moved overseas and need to get rid of some of his stuff.

PRO2006 - $40
craigslist - terrible condition but operating. Couple says it belong to their grandfather who past years ago and they found this in the closet and that it turns on but doesnt work. It works fine.

Yeasu VX5-RS - Free
Friend of a friend has this radio that he got in pieces. I put it back together and it works fine.

AOR AR8200M3 - $200
Craigslist ad said "like new". I got to the guy in San Francisco and he said he was in the "surveillance business". He had just bought it 8 days prior. Gave me the receipt and everything. Said he was done with it and didnt like the features. Says it was "too complicated". I asked "why dont you return it then?". He said he didnt want the hassle of crossing the bridge to bring it back(purchased at HRO-Oakland).

PRO2004 - Free
Given to me from another "friend of a friend" that knew I liked this stuff. Radio was DOA but revived back to life that evening.

IC-R70 - $100
Craigslist ad said it was "no longer needed". Went to this guys house to see that he had a plethora of other HF gear and that he really did not need it.

Sangean 803A/Radio Shack DX 440 - Total $15 for both
Found one of each at 2 different Goodwill stores here in Northern California on the SAME DAY. the Sangean was $10-"no power cord". the DX440 was $5-"no power cord - unknown working condition".
Ive since sold these radios. both were in "immaculate condition".

BC898T - $50
Craigslist - original asking price was $95 - "3months old - like new with box and everything that came with it". I got there and the guy says there is a "small problem" with the power adapter cord. His little dog chewed on it and Im guessing it shorted it out. I gave one of those quirky looks of dismay and as soon as he saw my face, he says "ill knock it down to $50 because of that". I paused for a moment, trying VERY hard to contain my enlightment of the "new" price, and in a reluctant voice said "oh alright".

Back in 2008 I got a 780xlt for $100. It came with a powerful laptop(DELL XPS M1710) that the guy was using to connect to it to try and program it. I wasnt expecting the latop at all.

2x PRO2045 from ebay - $50 including shipping from 2 independant sellers

BC9000XLT - $25.
Craigslist - in flawless condition

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

R1VINCE said:

Lady posted it in craigslist. I jumped on it. When i got there, she told me it was from a previous tenant of her rental and the couple split and wife was tryin to get rid of this stuff to pay the remaining balance.

PRO2006 - $25
craiglists - Flawless condition. Guy said it was his brothers and that he moved overseas and need to get rid of some of his stuff.

PRO2006 - $40
craigslist - terrible condition but operating. Couple says it belong to their grandfather who past years ago and they found this in the closet and that it turns on but doesnt work. It works fine.

Yeasu VX5-RS - Free
Friend of a friend has this radio that he got in pieces. I put it back together and it works fine.

AOR AR8200M3 - $200
Craigslist ad said "like new". I got to the guy in San Francisco and he said he was in the "surveillance business". He had just bought it 8 days prior. Gave me the receipt and everything. Said he was done with it and didnt like the features. Says it was "too complicated". I asked "why dont you return it then?". He said he didnt want the hassle of crossing the bridge to bring it back(purchased at HRO-Oakland).

PRO2004 - Free
Given to me from another "friend of a friend" that knew I liked this stuff. Radio was DOA but revived back to life that evening.

IC-R70 - $100
Craigslist ad said it was "no longer needed". Went to this guys house to see that he had a plethora of other HF gear and that he really did not need it.

Sangean 803A/Radio Shack DX 440 - Total $15 for both
Found one of each at 2 different Goodwill stores here in Northern California on the SAME DAY. the Sangean was $10-"no power cord". the DX440 was $5-"no power cord - unknown working condition".
Ive since sold these radios. both were in "immaculate condition".

BC898T - $50
Craigslist - original asking price was $95 - "3months old - like new with box and everything that came with it". I got there and the guy says there is a "small problem" with the power adapter cord. His little dog chewed on it and Im guessing it shorted it out. I gave one of those quirky looks of dismay and as soon as he saw my face, he says "ill knock it down to $50 because of that". I paused for a moment, trying VERY hard to contain my enlightment of the "new" price, and in a reluctant voice said "oh alright".

Back in 2008 I got a 780xlt for $100. It came with a powerful laptop(DELL XPS M1710) that the guy was using to connect to it to try and program it. I wasnt expecting the latop at all.

2x PRO2045 from ebay - $50 including shipping from 2 independant sellers

BC9000XLT - $25.
Craigslist - in flawless condition

Those are great finds, wish I could find stuff at those deals, my luck has come as a direct result of my work, not shopping

N5TWB

PRO2006 - $25

PRO2006 - $40

You should get with one of the networks that produce those "Auction Whatever" shows and get your own show for shopping/prowling thrift stores. If nothing else, you've probably inspired at a few forum members into checking for bargains in interesting places.

R1VINCE

You should get with one of the networks that produce those "Auction Whatever" shows and get your own show for shopping/prowling thrift stores. If nothing else, you've probably inspired at a few forum members into checking for bargains in interesting places.

The deals are out there. And as you can see, its not just radio gear. There are many unsuspecting sellers that dont know what they have exactly. An advantage to the "picker".

Not all deals have been good ones. For every radio I acquire, theres a dozen or so radios that I walked away from or skipped entirely.

Its taken a long time and a lot of searching to find the bargains. But none of it is/was "needed" at the time of purchase. I just happen to stroll upon listings that tap my interest at the time. Just be patient. I often see so-called deals on used radios only to find a better deal elsewhere a few days or weeks later.

And dont be afraid to ask the seller to trade. Thats actually worked out for me in the past.
Example: my broken down and damaged(bent forks)1983 Yamaha Jog 50cc scooter with no plastic fairings but runs - traded for a IC-R7000, functioning but with some faults(bad display). That was a straight trade.

KB0VWG

Another steal

Purchase a kenwood tk-863g and power supply and desk mic for $30 dollars,tested and working.
kb0vwg
73's

jonny290

I found a Pro-94 in an abandoned refrigerator in the middle of the woods once.

One 24 hour bath in 99% isopropyl and a box of Q-tips later, and I had a functioning spare scanner.

State land too, just a fridge dumped off the side of an access road.

Was the weirdest thing.

KB0VWG

Totally agree

I found a Pro-94 in an abandoned refrigerator in the middle of the woods once.

One 24 hour bath in 99% isopropyl and a box of Q-tips later, and I had a functioning spare scanner.

State land too, just a fridge dumped off the side of an access road.

Was the weirdest thing.

I have to say that does seem kinda strange, a scanner in a fridge in the middle of nowhere.
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992

donny612

Dejavu

I used to have a scanner like that one but I do believe it was another brand, like maybe Radio Shack, back in the day.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
This is a scanning forum, not the tavern. Knock it off.

Oh the glow, the lines and knobs ponting up when activated. My moral scruples have been digitized.

Since viewing that picture, I have given my radios female names. I have found it takes less time to program a radio than a.... never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.