Thunder Over Louisville 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Well Thunder is only 28 days away, how many of y'all is planning on attending? Does anyone have a good list of Air Show act frequencies that will probably be used? I see last years Air Boss Frequency, do they usually change that every yr?

Jason

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I won't be there due to an airshow in Smyrna (Blue Angels) but some freqs that have been used in the past my demo teams, i have.

F-15E demo possibly 376.025 or 384.55
F-16 West demo possibly 384.55 or 136.675
Any other military flyovers i'd look for them to be on the airboss freq. I have no idea what discrete (if any) the Harrier demo uses.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Add the Super Hornet (F/A-18F) from NAS Oceana to your lineup. I have no idea what freqs they use.

I saw a commercial for something called the "Thunder Preview Party" at Bowman Field. I'm not sure what it is but it might be interesting. I am sure that whatever it is there will not me any fighter jets because Bowman's runways arn't long enough.

jerk

Bluegrass1dcr1 said:
I saw a commercial for something called the "Thunder Preview Party" at Bowman Field. I'm not sure what it is but it might be interesting. I am sure that whatever it is there will not me any fighter jets because Bowman's runways arn't long enough.

From the Courier-Journal
Kentucky Derby Festival's Thunder Over Louisville is just around the corner (April 12), but you can enjoy a sneak peak of what to expect during a McDonald's Thunder Preview Party from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Central American Airways Flying Service hangar at Bowman Field.

The special preview of Thunder Day activities will feature a static display of aircraft, a McDonald's Playland Kidzone with activities and inflatables and the sale of official 2008 Derby Festival merchandise.Among the aircraft will be Stearman Biplane, Apache AH-64 helicopters and a Russian L-39 jet. Military and civilian pilots will chat with the public as will Thunder Over Louisville producer Wayne Hettinger. Food concessions and a cash bar will be available. The theme for the 19th annual Thunder Over Louisville production is "Out of This World." The sponsors are Caesars Indiana, E.On U.S., Meijer and UPS.

jerk

Bluegrass1dcr1 said:
I'm guessing that you mean the Thursday (April 10) before thunder. Right?
It was in the paper, not exactly sure... Just did a cut and paste and popped up in Google.
And I won't be going so didn't check that close.

The 2008 Thunder Preview event  which is part of the McDonalds Thunder Funder initiative - will be held Thursday, March 20, at the Central American Airways Flying Service hangar at Bowman Field. This is the second year for the event, which will be a special preview of Thunder Day activities and will help the public gear up for the 2008 Derby Festival.

Here's the link, sorry,
From
<http://www.thunderoverlouisville.org/news/pressdetail.asp?ID=883>

jerk

And remember if you are scanning, Search
138-143.995 MHz AM
225.00-380.00 MHz AM for Military aircraft
And then the regular VHF aviation band.

Aircraft begin arriving for Thunder on Thursday, April 10.
I believe they do testing and rehearsal on Friday before the big show on Saturday.
A list of aircraft is post on the Thunder site.

BigDog-911

If I understand correctly the static display is set for this coming Thursday. Here is a snippet from www.thunderoverlouiville.com website.

The 2008 “Thunder Preview” event – which is part of the McDonald’s Thunder Funder initiative - will be held Thursday, March 20, at the Central American Airways Flying Service hangar at Bowman Field. This is the second year for the event, which will be a special preview of Thunder Day activities and will help the public “gear up” for the 2008 Derby Festival.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
K thanks guys, who all is going down Friday to catch some practice frequencies? I'm kind of bummed the Air Show schedule isn't posted yet, i'm pretty busy that week of Thunder so not sure i'll have a lot of time to research the frequencies before hand.

Jason

jerk

jasonpeoria911 said:
K thanks guys, who all is going down Friday to catch some practice frequencies? I'm kind of bummed the Air Show schedule isn't posted yet, i'm pretty busy that week of Thunder so not sure i'll have a lot of time to research the frequencies before hand.

Jason
I may try to listen/scan, if I don't get scheduled to work. But I will only listen from about 15 miles away, to much traffic and chaos down on the water Friday and especially Saturday.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
BigDog-911 said:
If I understand correctly the static display is set for this coming Thursday. Here is a snippet from www.thunderoverlouiville.com website.

The 2008 “Thunder Preview” event – which is part of the McDonald’s Thunder Funder initiative - will be held Thursday, March 20, at the Central American Airways Flying Service hangar at Bowman Field. This is the second year for the event, which will be a special preview of Thunder Day activities and will help the public “gear up” for the 2008 Derby Festival.

Don't look for much of a static display at Bowman field. Maybe some WW II Warbirds, and helicopters. Their runway isn't even 5000 ft long. I went to Thunder a few years ago and the day of prior to the show starting they had a Planes of Thunder static display set up at Standiford Field (KSDF) and that was something to behold. I've heard they're not doing that anymore. That's kind of a downer. It was cold that day. I would love to make it up there this year but i'll be doing my local airshow at Smyrna, TN which is the same weekend. Have fun.

BTW, it looks like the B-2 flyover won't happen and that goes for me in Smyrna as well. Looks like they will be grounded for another month. The article says not grounded, it's grounded.

http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/display.cfm?id=24862

jerk

CORN said:
Don't look for much of a static display at Bowman field. Maybe some WW II Warbirds, and helicopters. Their runway isn't even 5000 ft long. I went to Thunder a few years ago and the day of prior to the show starting they had a Planes of Thunder static display set up at Standiford Field (KSDF) and that was something to behold. I've heard they're not doing that anymore. That's kind of a downer. It was cold that day. I would love to make it up there this year but i'll be doing my local airshow at Smyrna, TN which is the same weekend. Have fun.

BTW, it looks like the B-2 flyover won't happen and that goes for me in Smyrna as well. Looks like they will be grounded for another month. The article says not grounded, it's grounded.

http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/display.cfm?id=24862
That event has already taken place at Bowman field. And you're right. No more static displays for safety, security, someone might try and fly a plane, type of excuses. Probably just to much trouble for SDF to go through it all. ;)

BigDog-911

I will be sitting on the 3rd Street ramp this year enjoying the show and taking the 96 with me. Hopefully will hear some interesting things. I may have to dig out my old Relm scanner to listen to Metro while the 96 rolls on air band or marine channels.

D

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Just out of curiosity, is there a group or meeting area that a lot of the local scanner groupies meet up at? I forgot to ask last year and didn't see it mentioned. Out of 800,000 people, I would think at least 10-20,000 would have scanners.

Jason

StaticLine

I'll be home here in the burbs of Taylorsville.In years past I have gotten really good signal from the airshow.Smoke on,smoke off all the neat stuff, air boss etc.And metro Pd. Now that I have found this site and you guys I'm excited to try some new freqs for the military planes.The day before is great to be outside and watch them come over heading for SDF.

spookyblue

Here's a list of TOL freqs

jasonpeoria911 said:
Well Thunder is only 28 days away, how many of y'all is planning on attending? Does anyone have a good list of Air Show act frequencies that will probably be used? I see last years Air Boss Frequency, do they usually change that every yr?

Jason

http://spookyblue.com/police-scanner/thunder_over_louisville_frequencies.htm

I'll be out on the Riverfront Friday. These change around from year to year, but it doesn't take long to pick up the new ones. Plus, many of the acts post frequencies on their websites. That list is from last year.

Spooky

jerk

Rain News Article

Article on the effect of all the rain might have on Thunder

<http://www.news-tribune.net/cnhi/newstribune/homepage/local_story_094110843.html?keyword=leadpicturestory>

daiv

hey spookyblue,
was just getting ready to post my complete list. i forgot you have it on your site. thanks for posting. saved me a ton of typing. :)

oh yeah, i'll be taking the day off work that friday to go hang out near the river and watch the practice. i think the forecast calls for showers both the friday and saturday, but i never believe a weather forecast that far out.

jason, the airboss freq has been the same (132.32, one of sdf's approach/departure freqs) for the past few years. i remember a log time ago it was 124.2 which is one of the sdf tower freqs. if you don't find out for sure what it is before thunder day, just monitor 122.7 (clark county airport unicom). banner planes usually fly out of clark county and they chat on there until it's time to switch over to airboss freq. inevitably one of them forgets what to switch to, so they have to ask. then we all hear the answer.

spookyblue said:
http://spookyblue.com/police-scanner/thunder_over_louisville_frequencies.htm

I'll be out on the Riverfront Friday. These change around from year to year, but it doesn't take long to pick up the new ones. Plus, many of the acts post frequencies on their websites. That list is from last year.

Spooky

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Has anyone seen how the OH River is looking in downtown Louisville? I know last year that it took up many viewing spots because it was fairly high. This year there has been a lot lot more rain and calling for hvy rain Tuesday thru at least Friday of this week. Not looking good.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.