Time For A New Scanner, Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDog928

I was in emergency services for 25 years. I'm retired now. I'm home bound with a terminal heart condition and I live alone. One of the things I like to do to keep busy is listen to/play with my scanner.

I've been using a Uniden BC178XLT for years. It's time for something new and better. Trunking scanners look like the way I want to go but I'm so lost! I know NOTHING about trunking. I'm from the days of crystal scanners with 8 bands lol.

I've been looking at the Radio Shack PRO-163. It looks really cool. Is this a good one?

Do I need something that is both digital and analog?

These two options would be fun but are not needed. I would like to be able to record broadcasts. I also want to be able to connect my scanner to the computer so I can do a live feed on this site for my area.

Please any help would be great! Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
scan

With alot of systems upgrading around the country I would get a scanner that will be ready for the future,either a Uniden Home patrol or a GRE PSR-800,they are easy to work,are already programmed for you,and can be upgraded with new info by connection to a computer.In my opinion would be the easiest to get working and would provide you with years of use.Pop in city and you are ready!
The problem with lesser scanners,is if the system gets more complex,your scanner may fall short....I had this issue with a 996T,so I ended up selling that for a better scanner.Dont want that to happen to you!
And PS.The two I describe will do anything digital or analog with many talkgroups,so yer safe.

BlackDog928

Hello!

TY for responding. :)

So you think the Uniden Home Patrol is better than the Radio Shack PRO-163? Also, I live in an area with alot of mountains. Does that make a difference?

N8IAA

Hello!

TY for responding. :)

So you think the Uniden Home Patrol is better than the Radio Shack PRO-163? Also, I live in an area with alot of mountains. Does that make a difference?

No need for a trunk tracking scanner, BlackDog928. The only trunk systems in your area are LTR Multinet that can not be scanned as a trunk system, the US Dept of Defense P-25, and a business system using Mototrbo, which can't be monitored by any scanner on the market.
I have a HP-1, and while it is a better than average digital, trunking scanner, it is overkill for your county.
You would not do bad with the Pro-163. All municipalities in your county are analog conventional frequencies.
I truly wish that people would do a little investigative work on what is and isn't in someone's area to monitor. A simple look at the WA state frequency database here on RR gave me all I needed to help answer your question.
Welcome to RR, and don't be hesitant to ask questions:) Nothing worse than spending more money than necessary.
HTH,
Larry

N8IAA

Also, I live in an area with alot of mountains. Does that make a difference?

Absolutely. That is why your county is on VHF, 150 MHz frequencies. If you can pick up what you need on the BC-178, the 163 just gives you a newer scanner to follow all the action.
Larry

N8IAA

Uniden Home patrol or a GRE PSR-800,they are easy to work,are already programmed for you,and can be upgraded with new info by connection to a computer.

HP-1, over priced and overkill for his county. Plus, the PSR-800 is no longer supported on RR by GRE. They've be closed for a year now. Whistler (the ones who make radar detectors) bought the GRE property and are going to make scanners badged under their name. Why buy the 800, when it is going for $100-$300 more than it did when being manufactured?
Simple and easy is what BlackDog928 needs.
Larry

SCPD

QRT
yes but what about the future

Cant get any easier than the two I mentioned,maybe only vhf now,but with every state getting money and going trunked and digital why not look to the future,better than buying a brick that COULD be useless later..
If you want to mess with programming then look at something else,if you want easy ,then get the two I mentioned,ya dont have to buy new either.I saw a home patrol on here pretty cheap...The PSR-800 IS SUPPORTED and UPDATED regularly ,I just did an update.

The Bearcat BCT-15X (around $157)is nice too but you have to PROGRAM IT,then if you dont know what your doing then you have to get the programming cables and software so how are you saving?
I can program a scanner too,but as I get older, I dont like "messing with stuff" too much,

heres the 163 for very cheap : copy and paste to your browser $74! <<<<<<<<<<<< see BELOW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-163-100...-Trunking-InDash-MINT-CONDITION-/230953006679

Last edited:

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Hi,

Welcome to RR :)

Sorry to hear about your illness :(

The scanner I would personally recommend would be the Pro-197.
It has lots of features and affordable. You can also use it to broadcast on this site.

You are not able to record the audio, from the scanner. But there are many other ways you can record the audio. Several free softwares that you can use to record the audio. I would recommend scanner record or audicity

The downfall, it is a pain in the rear to program by hand and takes alot of patience. But you can use the Arc500 software to do this digitally.

Many departments are going digitally, so it is best to upgrade soon

I was in emergency services for 25 years. I'm retired now. I'm home bound with a terminal heart condition and I live alone. One of the things I like to do to keep busy is listen to/play with my scanner.

I've been using a Uniden BC178XLT for years. It's time for something new and better. Trunking scanners look like the way I want to go but I'm so lost! I know NOTHING about trunking. I'm from the days of crystal scanners with 8 bands lol.

I've been looking at the Radio Shack PRO-163. It looks really cool. Is this a good one?

Do I need something that is both digital and analog?

These two options would be fun but are not needed. I would like to be able to record broadcasts. I also want to be able to connect my scanner to the computer so I can do a live feed on this site for my area.

Please any help would be great! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.