Time for new cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0QNB

There is a time when all radio enthusiasts need to change coax, my time is fast approaching, when I plant my 25g I will run all new cable.
I have read that Times Microwave cable is about the best you can get, but which one, lmr200, lmr300, lmr240, lmr400, I am looking for opinions from folks that have used all varieties, then I will decide, my run(s) should be less than 100 feet each.

Let me know what you think.
R

radiopro52

Specification wise, LMR400 is the best out of those you listed. There's also LMR500, 600, ect. but they are much more expensive and the difference is little.

What coax do you use now? I switched from RG58 to LMR400 and it made a great difference.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
LMR400 is the best, unless ur running a straight line LMR600/900 and up will work but its really thick and cant bend

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
LMR-400 would be best, as long as the size is acceptable (for your application it would be). The others are smaller-diameter low-loss coax cables for different applications (short runs, somewhere you need tight turns, etc).

Only issue I have with LMR-400 is that it's quite stiff. You can trade off a small amount of loss for a lot more flexibility by getting LMR-400 "Ultra Flex" which is a stranded core version. It is FAR easier to work with, if you have tight places to get it into. (It would also be essential if you are putting up beams on a rotor, since you don't want to use the solid-core LMR-400 at the antenna where it will be moving.)

What I currently get (because it's readily available locally and a dealer has been at every hamfest I've been to in my area) is Wireman Super 8 which is comparable to the SuperFlex. (The only solid-core coax run I have is some 9913, and I don't want any more!)

KC0QNB

What do I run now, good question, I got it used a long time ago, pull offs from some cb antenna reruns, it is RG-8 type, I can't tell you for sure to be honest all the markings are gone, see what I mean time for new cable. Thanks for the replies. I will look at the LMR400 super flex.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just be sure to avoid tight bending radii; don't overlook center conductor migration aggravated by heat softening the dielectric. The air dielectric version of Belden 9913 is notorious in this regard, one sharp bend and it's ruined. It also has moisture ingress problems but with proper precautions it gives the best bang for the buck.

Call it what you will (it has a thousand names) but any RG-8U polyfoam dielectric type is good for the average VHF installation. Is it solid or is it foam? Best bring along a pocket knife and look at it or if you buy it by "remote control" make darn sure of what you're buying to avoid an unpleasant surprise when it's delivered.

KC0QNB

I am probably going to order the cable from Tessco or Hutton, depends on the price offered by both at the time I order.

jim202

One word of caution about the LMR coax cable. There are a number of threads about
it being used in repeater service and causing noise problems. The interface between
the foil shield and the copper braid shield over time will develop electrical noise that
causes receiver problems when used in duplex service.

Having used a good footage of this type cable in the military / National Guard service,
the crimp on connectors don't stand up very well to physical service. The construction
of the LMR type cable doesn't seem to lend itself to a very secure crimp connection.
Over the course of the last 40 years dealing with radio system installs and service,
the LMR cable is not one that I freely choose to work with.

I would rather use the "Heliax" style coax cables. They lend to a much better
survival under any mechanical abuse. The cable lasts longer outside than the
LMR coax. It doesn't have the noise problems that the LMR coax has in duplex
service. The connectors are not crimp connections and as a result are far
more secure.

Just my opinion, but if I am paying for a coax cable, a couple of tenths of a db
advantage that the company CLAIMS better over other cables is just not worth
all the negatives the cable brings with it.

Jim

dixieboyfl

Let me know if I can help with your New Cable

KC0QNB said:
I am probably going to order the cable from Tessco or Hutton, depends on the price offered by both at the time I order.

If I can help you save a few bucks I have a couple hundred feet of brand new LMR400 cable available right off the factory spool.

Check out my posting on this forum below:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105819

Best Regards, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.