• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tk 2160 Li-Ion Battery Care/Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanut_SJU

My department just purchased some TK 2160's with the 7.4 VDC, 1950mAh, 14.43Wh batteries.

I haven't used these before and am wondering the best way to extend their life? Do battery conditioner units help extend the life of Li-Ion batteries as much as with non-Li-Ions?

Does Kenwood make a battery like the Motorola Impres?

Thanks for any info you can provide me!

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
My department just purchased some TK 2160's with the 7.4 VDC, 1950mAh, 14.43Wh batteries.

I haven't used these before and am wondering the best way to extend their life? Do battery conditioner units help extend the life of Li-Ion batteries as much as with non-Li-Ions?

Does Kenwood make a battery like the Motorola Impres?

Thanks for any info you can provide me!

Conditioning will not help Li-Ion batteries. For the best life always use the factory charger, or one that is approved for Li-Ion.

Kenwood does not make a "smart" battery like the Impress.

For a lot of good battery info go to Welcome to Battery University

Jim

Peanut_SJU

Ok, how about this? Another dept of mine has Kenwood TK-272's. I see they sell Li-Ion batteries for this model radio, however from the link you posted Li-Ion batteries should only be charged in Li-Ion appropriate chargers. Where would I find these chargers? Or could I just use the rapid chargers that came with the TK-272's some 6-8 years ago?

Thanks!

Sounds like if the Li-Ion batteries are here to stay for the portable market there is not really a need to have conditioners anymore, huh?

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
Ok, how about this? Another dept of mine has Kenwood TK-272's. I see they sell Li-Ion batteries for this model radio, however from the link you posted Li-Ion batteries should only be charged in Li-Ion appropriate chargers. Where would I find these chargers? Or could I just use the rapid chargers that came with the TK-272's some 6-8 years ago?

Thanks!

Sounds like if the Li-Ion batteries are here to stay for the portable market there is not really a need to have conditioners anymore, huh?

DO NOT use a KSC-16, or KSC-24 with Li-Ion batteries. Kenwood does not offer a Li-Ion battery for the TK-272, ask the manufacture of the battery (unless it's a well known vendor I would stay away from them anyway, the KNB-15, or 20 are just fine for FF use). Li-Ions can (and have) overheat and cause a fire when not charged correctly. The HAVE to be charged correctly or else you will have problems. They don't last (service life) long and are still very expensive. Do a Google search for "fires caused by li-ion batteries", or "Li-Ion battery safety" or "FAA rules on Li-Ion batteries". They have been responsible for aircraft fires.

Yes Li-Ion is here to stay, but the HAVE to be charged and handled correctly. Although for number of charges and service life NiCd are still the best deal. Li-Ions do not work well in extreme temperature environments, Ni based batteries are a long long way from being replaced.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.