• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-2180 Tactical feature set

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf6owc

Does anyone know how to enable the Tactical feature set in the radio. apparently this must be enabled in the options for the radio, and cannot be done in the programming software??? or maybe it requires different firmware?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Firmware upgrade can only be done at Kenwood, radio needs to be sent in.

TFS adds a smoother way to access OST, adds the ability to create a user command zone, and lets you field program the radio through the keypad.

code3cowboy

It closely mimics the CDF mod for the 90 series mobiles and adds the face programming of the 90 series portables (or BK LMRs). It is a good investment if you travel or work out of your area frequently.

pddispatcher

If the radio just needs a new firmware upgrade kinda like the MDC firmware then it should be able to be done through FPRO

Is that correct?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
No, this is not a Kenwood thing. This firmware was commissioned by a third party (the same person that did the TK-790 CDF and the BK GPH-CMD). Yes Kenwood WILL write custom firmware for you if you have thousands of dollars to spare.

Because of this it is considered an option, and Bob needs to get a return on the money he spent. The only way to get the TFS "option" is to send it in to Kenwood and pay the $$$.

I have it in my TK-2180 and as mickey d says, "I'm lovin' it".

Last edited:

kf6owc

2180 tfs

well folks you can indeed up grade your radio for about 65 dollars. or at least that what it cost me. use FPRO to do it takes about 30 sec to do this. as for bob s his CDF firm ware is cool i have a couple of 790's with it use it all the time. i for get the L number you need but call your local KW dealer give them your serial number and they can order it for you. bad news is that the firmware is serial number specific, I have tried to put it in other 2180's no luck, but looking where they change it in the hex file. 2180 now a great little radio!!
jim

AE106

so i just had my firmware in my 2180 updated to 1.22. so it does not matter if i check (enable) the 'TFS' under model info, it still wont do the tactical feature set? The only way for anyone to enable it is to send it to kenwood?

mciancio

I am wondering about the firmware. I have 89DN version 1.61 but can not find the drop down to enable the TFS function. I just read a brand new 2180 that had the TFS function enabled,when the down load was complete a window pop up saying the TFS function was disabled.

Colton25

So if i don't have the extended keypad, and i want to enter setting mode i'm out of luck because i can't enter a password. Is there any way around this? I'd prefer not to have a password.

Firmware upgrade can only be done at Kenwood, radio needs to be sent in.

TFS adds a smoother way to access OST, adds the ability to create a user command zone, and lets you field program the radio through the keypad.

Status
Not open for further replies.