• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-280 V2 test specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a TK-280 v2. I think the battery may be bad, but just to check, I am hoping someone would be able to share information concerning their spec settings. I've tinkered with the transmit power level some. Done the math for 4.5 watts. However, the radio keeps throwing out a battery warning shortly after I start transmitting, hench my thought on the bad batteries. (I've had these batteries going on 3 years)

I know each radio will differ slightly somewhat, but should be close to the same. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my RealPad MA7BX2 using Tapatalk

Thayne

It is probably bad batteries; a way to check would be to monitor the battery voltage with a digital DC voltmeter when you transmit, if it drops like a rock as soon as you transmit that is probably it; another fast way would be to transmit while it has been in the charger for at least 30 min and transmit while it is still in the charger and see if it gives the low battery warning as fast.
Hopefully you only changed the transmit power with the software & not by opening it and messing around inside.
3 years is a long time especially if it was left in the charger most of the time. The best way is to have 2 batteries & rotate them to get the best life overall and don't leave them in the charger all the time.

I may be a ham operator, but with commercial equipment, I'm not crazy enough to open it up to tinker with pots and such... lol. I only open it up to clean or replace.

All my adjustments have been thru the software. And it's only been on the power levels since I don't have a monitor to adjust anything else properly.

I have 2 batteries. I've done my best to rotate them as much as possible. And I try to run them completely down before recharging. But I think they've reached the end of their usefulness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Well, I pulled out my service manual last night, tinkered with a few settings... Not sure which one I changed, but I'm not getting my battery warning this morning shortly after transmit. We will see how long this lasts.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber
That's exactly what my TK-380's did when I first bought them. The old Ni-Cad's were shot.

I picked up a 2-pack of NiMH off ebay for about 25 bucks or so. They work great, but they're not original Kenwood stock. Haven't been able to find genuine Kenwood replacement batteries for those.

As an aside, you can program one of the buttons to switch between hi and lo power with the software, if you wish.

Delta

I have 2 KNB-17H, 2100 mAh, Ni-MH batteries. I took a page out of my radio techs book and engraved the date I got them on the batteries (Feb 2014). With them being 3 years old, I can only assume they are about done for.

I have a key assigned for LO Power. Being an amateur radio operator, it helps. I just want to get back to being able to use it a little more until I can get me a newer radio. I guess I'm gonna have to invest in new batteries.

After doing some more snooping around, and printing my test mode info to pdf, I think I found my problem. And it'll mean a trip to see my radio techs. My battery warning level was at..... wait for it.... 225!!!! AHHHH! No wonder my Radio was tripping so quick! I found an older battery, quick few minute charge and I managed to get it down to 142 before the radio just died. But I guess I'm gonna have to get my tech to get it down further.

Status
Not open for further replies.