• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-3101 self program issue ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

I am back to tinkering with a box of 3101s formerly Tuscon school district. What I thought to be an audio problem with all may be an issue with self programming.
The gist I get with this feature is to program a test frequency. Problem I have is they all go through the self programming, but when completed, they produce a distorted 1khz sound and the only thing that works is the volume control. Cycling the power doesn't change that.
Has anyone run across this and is there a fix for it. ??
I have a programming cable and software, thinking programming user mode would be the solution, however, I have lost the serial number to install this on my bench computer. Can anyone help with that also.
All but a few radios are in rather good shape, one looks like someone began disassembly and missing some screws and battery latch.
Too good just to butcher for components.
Parts needed also are knobs, antennas, and batteries if anyone knows where those can be had. A couple chargers in the lot seem great.
Thanks people.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Volume knob is Kenwood Part Number K29-5255-05
Channel knob is Kenwood Part Number K29-5278-03
Antenna is Kenwood Part Number T90-0694-15 but you'll likely find lots of sources for those other than Kenwood. Service manual says it's an SMA connector, so easy to find a replacement antenna.
Belt Hook is J29-0624-03 You'll also need screws to mount it. Easy to find those at your local hardware store, I suspect 3mm metric.
Battery clip (official part name is "Lever Knob (Batt Release)" K29-5068-03
Battery is KNB-14 (600mAh) or KNB-15A (1100mAh)

If you do a careful search on the internets, you'll likely find what you are looking for in relation to the serial number for the software.

Not sure about the error tone you are getting.

merlin

Thanks. I have the part numbers, I search on Kenwood site I get no results found. Seen antennas on ebay, rarely a battery.
Yea, I use an SMA barrel and jumper to my watt meter, dummy, attenuator and the spectrum analyzer
Nothing said in documentation about any tone completing self programming. Perhaps just programming from the computer will fix these.
Push to shove, I can program the E^2prom directly. That serial number just doesn't come up with any search and no longer supported.
Paid for though and would pay again if I had to.
What usually happens is after doing it the hard way, I will stumble across my number buried in archives.
Thanks for your input, appreciated.

bharvey2

I wonder if some things like volume and channel knobs from other models (such as TK380) might be compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.