• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-390 Audio/Modulation Low

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB1WIT

I have a TK-390 all programmed up and have been using for a while now. Ive made sure the individual channels are set to wide and i have even cranked up the Deviation in the "TEST" menu. The only problem in on simplex its nice and loud but on the repeaters it sounds off frequency due to over deviation. Now im guessing the solution to this would be to increase the mic gain, but i cannot find a setting anywhere that shows me where this is. Even in the service manuals. I cannot decipher what would solve the issue. Please help!!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
In what service are you using this radio? Amateur, GMRS, or Part 90?

Cranking up the deviation will certainly make it sound crappy. It may sound good on simplex if it's over deviating and it's still within the ability for the receiver to handle. The crappy sound on the repeater is a sign that you've cranked it too far.
I'd reset the deviation to where it was.
I have a TK-290, the VHF version, and I don't know of a mic gain setting that you can access with the normal KPG software. I'd certainly caution you against getting into the alignment stuff unless you know what you are doing and have a service monitor on hand to make sure you stay within specifications.

KB1WIT

I use it mainly for Ham bands, 440 and GMRS (licensed). My friend whom im seeing tonight has a service monitor on hand and we are going to set the deviation back to normal. I have in addition to this 390 a 290 and 280, neither of which have this problem. Could it be a firmware issue since this is a Type 1 , one of the earliest versions?

Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, I think I'm confused...

You turned up the deviation, now it's sounding over-deviating on a repeater? Seems like either I'm missing something or that your adjustment is causing this?

KB1WIT

You are correct, the over deviation fixed the audio on simplex but not on a repeater, so I'm going to set the deviation back to normal. IE revert to being very quiet. I'm using the service monitor because I no longer remember the original setting. So I guess what im saying is; I still dont have a solution to fix my current low audio problem, BUT i do have a service monitor in the near future to use.

cabletech

kb1wit, do you have a service manual for any of thes radios? In the first few pages there is a section that shows and tells you how to correctly set the deviation.

Now that you have a service monitor available, conect the radio and follow the information.

On a wide band frequency, the audio should be 4.5 to 4.7kz.

On a narrow band frequency, is should be 2.1 to 2.4kz

You do not wish to set the sudio at the max of 2.5kz or 5kz as it will increase with a users voice.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Cranking up the deviation is a poor choice to get more audio out. As you have found out, its hard to control what comes out of the radio and over-dev happens no matter how hard you try to keep it in check. Plus this puts the radio out of FCC specs.

Put the dev adjustment back to where it was. Some Kenwood radios have a mic gain pot but alas the 390 is without it. I would suspect the mic element has just crapped out. I replace one or two on a monthly basis. The 390 also uses a dual mic noise canceling scheme and this may have a problem although I've never run across it. You wouldn't have a speaker mic you could try just to see if there is a difference?

KB1WIT

Actually, just coming back from using the service monitor the Frequency was off a good 3khz. Tuned it back to 0 and set dev to 5khz Voila!

Thanks for your help.

cabletech

kb1wit I see you are a new ham and that you are getting into radio. Welcome.

Also, you now see what a correctly aligned radio can do.

As a side point, you will also see that even thru spec's for audio say 5kz dev for wide band and 2.5kz for narrow band, if you set the dev for 4.8-4.9 for wide and 2.3-2.4 for narrow the radio will sound a lot better.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.