• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-630 drawing current when off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
I have a TK-630 in our front end loader at work. I have the radio wired for ignition sense, but here lately it decided it was going to keep drawing current, even with the keyed switch in the off position. I'm sure something has gone awry inside the radio, just need to know which direction to look.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

Being set for ignition sense, means that part of the radio is still on, and will draw current.

Krokus is pretty much right. On the 630 I always wire a relay to a switch or ignition instead of using the ignition sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
Krokus is pretty much right. On the 630 I always wire a relay to a switch or ignition instead of using the ignition sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, I'll wire it up that way. But I thought that was the purpose of ignition sense, so you wouldn't have to do that? It's strange that it started killing the batteries here lately, I've had it wired for ignition sense for quite some time. The batteries were replaced this past summer too.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I'll wire it up that way. But I thought that was the purpose of ignition sense, so you wouldn't have to do that? It's strange that it started killing the batteries here lately, I've had it wired for ignition sense for quite some time. The batteries were replaced this past summer too.

If the radios have been wired that way for awhile, and the drain is a new issue, then the radios are not the (only) problem. The power draw when the radio is "off" should be rather small, without knowing the specs, I would guess a few tenths of an amp.

What is new to the vehicles? New GPS? Data terminals or laptops? Are the vehicles no longer kept on shore power or a battery tender? Different style or size of battery? Different driving habits, maybe consisting of short trips?

Sent from Tapatalk

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
If you totally power the radio down, it will lose the last settings memory (volume setting, current channel, panel brightness).. If you remove the fuse from the ign sense line, does the battery hold a charge?

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
The radio is most certainly the culprit. It is drawing more than normal when the radio is shut off, and wired for ignition sense. The vehicle in question is a Caterpillar 962G end loader. With the loader shut off, there is a major draw on the batteries, if I disconnect the radio, the draw is gone. The batteries are good, fairly new even. Nothing else has been added to the vehicle.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
630's are old enough that I'd start looking at capacitors going bad. Not having a schematic in front of me, I don't know what sort of components are in the path of the power input that could crap out and do this. The other thing I'd look at, considering it's usage, would be dust, corrosion, or just some water intrusion into the radio.

Have you opened it up to take a look? Someone been washing out the inside of the cab with a pressure washer? Has vibration cause the circuit board to work lose, components to come lose, etc? Probably the first thing I'd do would be to open it up and do a visual inspection.

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
630's are old enough that I'd start looking at capacitors going bad. Not having a schematic in front of me, I don't know what sort of components are in the path of the power input that could crap out and do this. The other thing I'd look at, considering it's usage, would be dust, corrosion, or just some water intrusion into the radio.

Have you opened it up to take a look? Someone been washing out the inside of the cab with a pressure washer? Has vibration cause the circuit board to work lose, components to come lose, etc? Probably the first thing I'd do would be to open it up and do a visual inspection.

No water in it, but vibration is a good possibility. It's not really a big deal for me to replace the radio, we have new Kenwoods and Motos on the shelf, I was must curious if it was something common with this model that I could easily fix. I may just grab a 6110 off the shelf and put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.