• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-790 external speaker pinout

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcu02mpa

Does anybody know the pinout for the external speaker leads on a TK-790. I assume it is with the 9-pin plug and not the 25-pin plug.

Thanks,

Mike

wcu02mpa

Thanks

That did it. This radio has amazing audio; it is a step up from the 730 for sure. It has very crisp and clear speaker audio as well as signal reports. I plan on remote mounting this radio. Do I run the speaker leads from the 9-pin when remote mounted. I see there is a 12-pin connector, but am not sure what that is for.

Mike

wcu02mpa

Part numbers???

I see it....DUH!!!! Firemaster.....would you happen to know the part number for the accessory plugs (from mouser or somewhere else)???? I would like both the 9 and the 12 pin plugs. I got some of the TK-730 plugs from mouser but am having trouble finding these.

Mike

mrweather

If you remote-mount your 790 and plug the speaker into the control head you'll be limited to 5 watts audio output. If you run the speaker wire back to the radio drawer you'll get the full 13 watts.

I run my external speakers to the drawers in my x90 radios.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
If you remote-mount your 790 and plug the speaker into the control head you'll be limited to 5 watts audio output. If you run the speaker wire back to the radio drawer you'll get the full 13 watts.

I run my external speakers to the drawers in my x90 radios.

There is a 0 Ohm resistor that you can move to give you the full AO from pins 10/11 on the C/H. I don't know the R number off the top of my head, I'll look it up and update this post.

Jim

mrweather

Correct. According to the service manual you move a jumper resistor from R628 to R627.

I've never done this so use at your own risk.

Last edited:

timkilbride

Database Admin
On the 25 pin D connector, if I bring the audio out of pin 17, do I need to ground it with anything? I don't want to brick my radio. I'm using a TK-790 for a feed here, but need some audio!

TIA,
Tim

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Pin 17 AFO and pin 18 earth (ground) is a very good unbalanced audio level to feed to a sound card. Do it right and use shielded cable.

Kaceypaul

Premium Subscriber
No Audio

I just installed my TK 790H today, and have the remote kit hooked up. I have the ignition sense cable coming off the radio unit not the head. I have the sheet that shows the pinouts, and when I try and use either one of them, I don't get any sound. I tested the speaker and that works fine. It's just for some reason I cant get any audio at all. Any tips or thoughts?

Kaceypaul

Premium Subscriber
So if I read that correctly, I just have to run my ignition sense, and my speaker from the head unit not the big part of the radio?

toastycookies

external speaker installation / pinout

82kt6o7.jpg

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
Shorted Pins?

Do pins on the 9 pin molex connector need to be shorted?

TK-790H
Full-featured Front Panel KCH-11 (remote mounted)

To use the speaker output from the KCH-11 in the dash (pins 10 & 11 on the 12 pin molex), do any pins need to be shorted on the base 9 pin molex?

Larry
KJ6QVI

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Reference the diagram from post 15. It shows the jumper lead needed to route speaker audio to the control head. The jumper is between pins 3 & 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.