• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK3160 UHF Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaytsus

I was checking out the local Goodwill today and I found a Kenwood TK3160 UHF (sorry; I didn't notice what specific model it was) for $7 with two batteries, neither charged or the radio doesn't work.

Anyone think it's worth grabbing and attempting to charge to verify it works then selling? From what I've seen, a baofeng programming cable will work with it but I'll need software. And there is a possibility that it's locked and can't be programmed, etc.. It didn't have a charger, so I'd have to kludge up or purchase one, etc.

It's only $7 but lots of variables.. Figured I'd post here to see if it's something that would be valuable enough to tinker with.

Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sure. $7.00 is a safe gamble.
The exact model will determine it's worth. There are three TK-3160 types:
Type 1 = 450-490MHz
Type 2 = 470-512MHz
Type 3 = 400-430MHz

Ideally, for most, the Type 1 would be preferred as it covers GMRS and the majority of the LMR frequencies. The Type 2, often called a T-band model, might be useful if you have some local stuff up in that area that you'd want to listen to.
The type 3 would be the least desirable (and probably the rarest) as it only covers what's usually the federal portion of the UHF band, although some specific cities have some LMR allocations there.

Either way, you'd likely be able to make your $7 back by selling it as a "parts" radio on e-Bay.
On the other hand, you might score something useful.

Replacement chargers and batteries are relatively cheap.
Programming software is KPG-82. You should be able to get it from a Kenwood dealer.

khaytsus

Sure. $7.00 is a safe gamble.
The exact model will determine it's worth. There are three TK-3160 types:
Type 1 = 450-490MHz
Type 2 = 470-512MHz
Type 3 = 400-430MHz

Ideally, for most, the Type 1 would be preferred as it covers GMRS and the majority of the LMR frequencies. The Type 2, often called a T-band model, might be useful if you have some local stuff up in that area that you'd want to listen to.
The type 3 would be the least desirable (and probably the rarest) as it only covers what's usually the federal portion of the UHF band, although some specific cities have some LMR allocations there.

Either way, you'd likely be able to make your $7 back by selling it as a "parts" radio on e-Bay.
On the other hand, you might score something useful.

Replacement chargers and batteries are relatively cheap.
Programming software is KPG-82. You should be able to get it from a Kenwood dealer.

Aha, I see that now from the URL above.. ALH36423110 is type 1, ALH36423120 type 2, and ALH36423130 is type 3. I'll look closer at it to see which specific model type it is.

Any idea if I'm right about the baofeng cable working with it? I saw some vague references but I'm not convinced... If so, I did see the software around.

I might go ahead and grab it and see about jerry rigging up charging and see if I can get it up and running. It's taken a bit of a beating, but I would be surprised if it's non-working. I even see chargers for pretty cheap on Amazon... if it's working and I can program it, with a charger, I can probably get the resell value up higher. I see some on ebay in the $50 range but no idea if they actually sell at that price, but might be worth a go.

Thanks for the help!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've heard the Baofeng cables will work too, but I've never tried it. I seem to recall some mention of "modification", but that could be incorrect.
If you don't already have the cable, just purchase one of the after market cables off of e-Bay. Even if you don't want to keep the radio, selling the radio + charger + battery + programming cable will surely make you some cash.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I've never had a Baofeng cable not work on a Kenwood and vice versa. You should be good to go. Did have a cheap Baofeng mic not play right with a Kenwood one time but that's all.

khaytsus

Drat! I should have done more in-store research, went back this morning and it's gone. Ah well ;)

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I've heard the Baofeng cables will work too, but I've never tried it. I seem to recall some mention of "modification", but that could be incorrect.
If you don't already have the cable, just purchase one of the after market cables off of e-Bay. Even if you don't want to keep the radio, selling the radio + charger + battery + programming cable will surely make you some cash.

A CCR programming cable is what I use to program my TH-F6; so as long as the LMR side uses the same pin-out, it should work.

Sent via Tapatalk

dapaq2

I have several of these Kenwood TK-3160's of the dash 3 band split (400 - 430 MHz), does anyone know if there is a way to make or modify this radio to work for ham or gmrs? Changing the model frequency to 450 - 490 MHz and entering the desired frequencies does NOT work, all I get is an audible 'error tone'. I am thinking maybe HEX editing can be done on the firmware??? Or will the transmitter and receiver simply not support or function on frequencies other than 400 - 430 MHz???

Thank you,
Doug

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I've had no luck getting them to work out of their intended band. Maybe someone else can speak up but I'm pretty sure you'll need a different split radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have several of these Kenwood TK-3160's of the dash 3 band split (400 - 430 MHz), does anyone know if there is a way to make or modify this radio to work for ham or gmrs? Changing the model frequency to 450 - 490 MHz and entering the desired frequencies does NOT work, all I get is an audible 'error tone'. I am thinking maybe HEX editing can be done on the firmware??? Or will the transmitter and receiver simply not support or function on frequencies other than 400 - 430 MHz???

You might be able to hex edit it, but the VCO will unlock somewhere outside the 400-430 range. Exactly how far would need to be determined. I can almost guarantee you that you will not be able to stretch it up to GMRS. You might get it a bit above 430MHz into the 70cm band, but I'd be surprised if you tricked it into working in the repeater section of the band.

You'd need to swap out the TX/RX board and figure out some way to make it think it was a different model.
Of course then you've voided the type certification and it wouldn't be legal for use anywhere other than the amateur radio band.

dapaq2

Thank you for your input on this Matt. Much appreciated. I was only looking at trying to possibly turn these into useful radios, as right now they are totally useless to me and doesn't sound like useful is going to happen...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You are not alone. Back when I was active on some of the GMRS only boards, there were a lot of people that ended up with the 400-430 range UHF radios. Either they got them for free, or purchased them accidentally off e-bay. A lot of frustration trying to make them work on GMRS.

It'd be a good parts radio, but that's about it. Very few places in the country where non-federal users can use those frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.