TM-V71/TM-D710 Tx and Rx PL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I found out that a friend of mine set up his repeater to have an input PL of 100 Hz and an output PL of 100 Hz.

Is it possible to set the V71/D710 for simultaneous Tone and CTCSS operation? I have looked through the manuals and google to no avail so I decided to ask here in hopes that some one will be like "oh yeah that's easy just do...."

So any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

n5ims

Not sure about your question. Based on the manual (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles...unications/AMA/Manuals/TM-V71 English O-M.pdf), TONE has 3 settings, Off (no tones or what is known as carrier squelch - you'll hear anything, tone or not, but things like a repeater that requires a tone won't open up for your signal), CTCSS (same sub-audible tone on transmit & receive and you'll only hear signals that sent that tone and things like a repeater that requires a tone will open up for your signal if the tone matches), or DCS (a digital tone sequence that works similar to CTCSS, but instead of a steady single tone, a digital tone sequence is sent instead).

PL is just another name for CTCSS, so don't be confused by the difference in terms. CTCSS is the generic term and PL is what Motorola called it for their radios.

See the bottom of page 27 and page 28 of the manual I linked to for how to set and activate your radio to use the 100 Hz tone on that repeater's channel.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
I have everything setup and am very familiar with what the stuff is what I cannot figure out is how on these radios to set it up to have both a transmit and receive pl tone

LtDoc

Use the Kenwood program and 'edit' a channel to select the type of tone you want to use. 'Tone' means that a tone will be send to 'activate' a repeater. The CTCSS tone means that a tone will be required from the repeater (or station) to break the squelch so that you can hear them. No CTCSS and you hear nothing, a 'squelch tone' in other words. The DCS is another method of doing that 'tone squelch' thingy. I don't have any use for such so can't tell you how it works.
Basically, use the CTCSS in the software or the tone button till "CT" appears on the screen.
- 'Doc

n5ims

You may be trying to make this harder than it is. If you have a channel programmed for 146.94 MHz with TONE set to CTCSS and 100.0 Hz, it will transmit and receive on 146.94. It will transmit a CTCSS tone of 100.0 Hz and the receiver will open for a signal that is sending a 100.0 Hz tone. That covers simplex operation, but you want repeater operation, correct?

For repeater operation, you can do things automatically or manually. With Automatic Repeater Offset (ARO) set ON, your radio will transmit on 146.34 MHz and listen on 146.94 MHz with the TONE working as it did above on my Simplex Operation example (basically using the 100.0 Hz tone for both transmit and receive). Note, this assumes you're using a standard US version radio. The European version will work differently as indicated in the manual.

If ARO is set to OFF, you'll remain on Simplex Operation unless you program a manual offset for your transmit frequency. Kenwood calls this "Odd Split" operation. Page 32 of the manual describes the programming in better details than I could from memory.

I do see how you can program the radio to use the same tone (CTCSS or DCS) for both transmit and receive (using the TONE setting I indicated and the associated settings for the tone frequency), but don't see how it can use one for transmit OR receive (but not both) or how different tones can be set for transmit and receive. It may be possible, but from a quick read of the manual, I don't see how.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Adding to what LtDoc said: Some radios can do a different transmit PL than receive PL. Most radios can transmit PL with no receive PL. Most radios will not receive PL without transmitting PL. When you select CTCSS, or CT (receive PL) you automatically get PL transmit. Read the manual to see how your particular radio handles PL.
BB

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
So I figure it out.

On MOST radios (i.e. Motorola Spectra/ASTRO Spectra/XTL/S-5000 and my Yaesu FT-2800M) you turn on Transmit PL and Receive PL separately, some make it so that it you can have a different tone for each, some don't. Apparently Kenwood in their infinite wisdom decided that they would make "T" be TX PL only, "CT" is TX/RX PL (also don't for get to change the CT PL as it does NOT carry over from the T PL).

So to get it to work I set it to CT and "reset" the PL back to 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.