• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWarlock

What is the difference/Positives vs. Negatives of using a programming cable that connects from a radio to a rib to a serial port vs radio direct to serial port?

a417

Ok, there are only a few radios I'm aware of that can go direct from PC Serial port to unit, and the only one I can guarentee is a MTR2000 repeater. Got a minute for the rest? Other vendors, brands do it...but not many Moto ones.

The motorola RIB (Radio Interface Box) is an interface box that allows modern (sic) computers to speak the logic levels and speed that most older motorola radios use for data transfer. The older the radio, as long as it doesn't require eproms, the higher the need for a motorola compatible RIB goes. The newer radios (that were in development during the active lifecycle of windows XP IIRC) are the ones that are more tolerant of USB interfaces. I believe the newest product lines Moto is carrying is completely USB dependent, and do not have any RIB compatibility.

The motorola RIB (or a polaris box, or a Sandy-rib) are required to connect the computer's RS232 levels and data from the com port, to the individual radios. You cannot skip this step. If the radio you are trying to program did not have (at least at some point) a motorola produced / designed USB Rib-less cable somewhere in its product cycle, you need a RIB. If there was a USB option for programming cables produced by moto for your product, you are in luck, you are not completely dependent on the RIB.

There's another site out there Batwing Laboratories which is a veritable cornucopia of information about this, i'd suggest browsing it...i'm giving you a 10 second primer.

Depending on what radios you are trying to program, the older the radio, the more RIB dependent you will be.

I'm not even going to delve into the computer processor requirements that come with older vintage motorola radios, many of us have 286 & 386 laptops and desktops being kept running with hopes and dreams, as modern computers are just too damn fast for some of the older RSS packages produced many years ago.

(sigh) this is a huge topic. You need to research it extensively if you are going to get into programming some of the older radios, the nuances are mindblowing.

What kind of radios are you looking at in particular? Are you talking about the MTS2k and Astro's listed in your sig?

(there are some absolute Moto programming / service deities amongst us on this board, who have forgotten more than I can possibly ever have known - they're an invaluable resource, and can probably steer you right)

N4KVE

I am using the same Maxton ribless cable for my MTS2000, & XTS3000 radios. The rib components are in the serial plug where it attaches to the laptop. Of course, all USB cables have no rib.

PACNWDude

For Motorola radio that need DOS for programming, I always use a RIB. I also use them with older computers with DB9 serial port connectors.

I have had good luck with RIBless generic cables from online auction sites. The only radio that has been an issue was a Radius / Maxtrac interim model.

If you are programming a lot of older Motorola gear, get a RIB and an older computer, Windows XP or older with a serial port. For newer radios and computers, the RIBless cables tend to work fine.

TheWarlock

Thanks everyone for the info

What kind of radios are you looking at in particular? Are you talking about the MTS2k and Astro's listed in your sig?

Yes, I am looking to program an MTS 2000. From what I have learned I can use the same cable to program an XTS 3000 as well. I have both cps for the respected radios.

I am using the same Maxton ribless cable for my MTS2000, & XTS3000 radios. The rib components are in the serial plug where it attaches to the laptop. Of course, all USB cables have no rib.

Are the ribless cables connecting to the computer via serial port or usb? I have a RIB for my astro saber and it works fine. just trying to decide what I should order. its hard to find rib cables for the MTS 2000.

N4KVE

Are the ribless cables connecting to the computer via serial port or usb? I have a RIB for my astro saber and it works fine. just trying to decide what I should order. its hard to find rib cables for the MTS 2000.
The ribless cables are serial because the rib is in the serial connector. Newer radios, XPR, & XTL can use USB, where no rib is needed. I've been looking for 3 years for a serial ribless cable for my Astro Saber.
http://kawamall.com/pd_1_piece_ribless_programming.cfm

Last edited:

TheWarlock

cmdrwill

Gary, I have used the Kawa Mall cables for HT1000 and MT, MTS 2000 radios.
And the ones linked on Amazon should be OK. Buy from a reliable vendor. manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.