Tompkins County 400 Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

I've noticed that the EMS usage of the UHF400 variety seems to have stopped. Specifically the 462.975 EMS to Fire ops and the EMS to hospital 463.175.

Did EMS go all 800 now or did something else change with regards to TX output/power/repeater etc? I still get the "simulcast" on county fire 453.050 loud and clear, and the previously mentioned EMS channels used to come in the same but I haven't heard a peep from those for a while now.

Thanks for any thoughts.

D

DaveNF2G

The MED channels seem to be going out of style. Most prehospital paramedical communications are going via cellphone now.

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
It does appear that the EMS-Hospital communications have been moved to the P25 system. A few of their neighboring counties have done the same thing. I would imagine they will keep monitoring the UHF Med channels for out of area units. This also has been done in neighboring counties.

AuntEnvy

Thanks Quick

I wonder why they are continuing to "simulcast" the county fire channel...?

I believe they were doing the same with the 462.975 and 463.175 channels but now it's silent as far as I can tell. I can't pick up the 800 system unless I'm mobile and closer to that area so I don't know exactly what I'm missing.

Thanks for the input.

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
I wonder why they are continuing to "simulcast" the county fire channel...?

I believe they were doing the same with the 462.975 and 463.175 channels but now it's silent as far as I can tell. I can't pick up the 800 system unless I'm mobile and closer to that area so I don't know exactly what I'm missing.

Thanks for the input.

I would imagine for Fire/EMS paging purposes. It hasn't been until just recently that P25 capable pagers have available. This is just my guess as I don't know much about their system.

AuntEnvy

Ahh... that would make sense. Thanks.

So I guess I can look forward to not hearing anything soon! ;)

About the only thing left to pick up from home on my base unit is Cornell PD, Finger Lakes police and ICPD.

I'm wondering if any of the other municipalities (mostly fire) are still using their analog 400 radios...?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Analog paging will stick around in most places for a WHILE. We're talking ~$1000 per unit versus the 200-300 for a minitor (retail prices).... that's a cost prohibitive difference regardless of features- easier for most places to just keep the VHF/UHF analog repeaters and the zetron/us digital encoders they already have.

Plus, in rural areas, VHF and UHF have much more useful propagation characteristics than 700/800.

Status
Not open for further replies.