Tone Remote Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
Would it be possible to connect a scanner to a tone panel in order to send the received audio to a tone remote/console? Obviously when connecting the scanner to the tone panel I would only connect the ground and line level audio to the REC OUT jack on a BCT15X or 996P2 or similar. Obviously I would not be able to change channels or control the scanner from the tone remote. The idea here is to be able to receive audio from a single channel/talkgroup on a console using a scanner.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Would it be possible to connect a scanner to a tone panel in order to send the received audio to a tone remote/console? Obviously when connecting the scanner to the tone panel I would only connect the ground and line level audio to the REC OUT jack on a BCT15X or 996P2 or similar. Obviously I would not be able to change channels or control the scanner from the tone remote. The idea here is to be able to receive audio from a single channel/talkgroup on a console using a scanner.

Yes, it's possible although I would definitely recommend an isolation transformer between the scanner and the console interface.

I did this years ago on Zetron consoles but would have to dig through my records to see exactly how I did it. The scanner was normally used to monitor adjacent agencies and was located near the operators so they could hold on a particular channel if needed.

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's possible although I would definitely recommend an isolation transformer between the scanner and the console interface.

I did this years ago on Zetron consoles but would have to dig through my records to see exactly how I did it. The scanner was normally used to monitor adjacent agencies and was located near the operators so they could hold on a particular channel if needed.

Would the isolation need to be on the wireline interface between the tone panel and the tone remote or on the audio signal between scanner and tone remote?

cmdrwill

Would the isolation need to be on the wireline interface between the tone panel and the tone remote or on the audio signal between scanner and tone remote?

On the audio signal between scanner and tone remote, Usually a 600 ohm to 600 ohm audio transformer. Depending on the output of the scanner you would need a 'load resistor' on the scanner side of the transformer.

You need to isolate any possible ground loops between the remote and the scanner and any other grounds. Grounds are not always ground......

Status
Not open for further replies.