tones and beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringofoligan

i live in indiana county last week i starter getting tones and beeps on my 140 channel scanner,,no talking just tones beeps and noise,,comes up on lots of channels,,indiana county 911,,fire channels,,all channels i use ,,anyone know what is causeing this?? starting to drive me nuts,,its non stop,,any answers out there??

druhe

Premium Subscriber
i live in indiana county last week i starter getting tones and beeps on my 140 channel scanner,,no talking just tones beeps and noise,,comes up on lots of channels,,indiana county 911,,fire channels,,all channels i use ,,anyone know what is causeing this?? starting to drive me nuts,,its non stop,,any answers out there??

What frequencies are you receiving this interference ? From what you describe it sounds like a nearby paging system.

ringofoligan

beeps and tones

getting them on almost all chanels the walk over everything,,,locked out about 75 channels but they still come up on county 911,, indiana police and all 5 fire bands,,live a mile from cell towers,,maybe they added something new,,,any way to get rid of them ?

druhe

Premium Subscriber
getting them on almost all chanels the walk over everything,,,locked out about 75 channels but they still come up on county 911,, indiana police and all 5 fire bands,,live a mile from cell towers,,maybe they added something new,,,any way to get rid of them ?

What make and model radio are you using ? Is this a base, mobile or handheld ? Are you using an external antenna or the stock internal antenna ?

When you say "5 fire bands" are you referring to the low band frequencies, such 33.70 ? Indiana police and EMS utilize VHF hi frequencies (155.220) are you receiving the interference on them as well ? Are you monitoring any UHF frequencies such as Cambria County, if so are you receiving it there also ?

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like he is experiencing local strong rf overload in his receiver.

Perhaps a new paging station went on the air recently close by to him.

That's what I'm thinking. I have a local system that has given me heart burn for years, but only on VHF Hi, not as wide as the OP is claiming. I'm curious as to make and model of radio to determine if it has an attenuator. The cure maybe as simple as activating it.

talviar

could also be a paging transmitter with a faulty power amp. . . Last one this way that went crazy was throwing spurs from 144-170 with harmonics hitting UHF desnsing a lot of uhf repeaters between 440-470 . . . .

if he is close enough to the tower and they have a problem it just might
cover anything programmed in his scanner

As always- this is my $1.95 and YMMV!

Later,
Tony

mr1973

Our county uses morse code to transmit the station identfier every hour (or half) they also transmit some kind of static noise quite often, maybe every 15 minutes or so, to sync or align the system transmitters. it lasts about 5 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.