Too Darn Hot In San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

So I'm not going to run my R8600 or my R75...or for that matter my flatscreen TV as it's 98*F in my place and I have no air conditioning. The fans are going nuts in my computer as I type this so I'm shutting down after posting.
It's 93* outside in the western Sunset-I believe a record.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
It was only 101 yesterday where I live with a heat index of 114.

prcguy

It was unusually hot here also, probably high 80s. So hot (for me) I got my new high freq Discone up on the tower but not the preamp/filter box. My 8600 has been running all day and is warm but not hot.

And I bet you have a nice, luxurious central AC system there. We're not set up for this kind of heat. Hell my desk and chair in here are almost hot to the touch.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Columbus, GA→→77º (w/o AC)
(Kevin will delete this one out of spite.)

ridgescan

My eyes and my face are still burning. My place cooled to 89* so far. No idea what it is outside. But I figure it's ok to fire up the 8600 now so at least I'll get an hour in before bed.

ridgescan

It was unusually hot here also, probably high 80s. So hot (for me) I got my new high freq Discone up on the tower but not the preamp/filter box. My 8600 has been running all day and is warm but not hot.
You being in the southern region of Ca. I'm assuming you too have some sort of AC in your shack? Was your 8600 operating within that controlled climate inside your QTH?
I made this thread intending to make the point that I won't operate my Icoms especially under what I consider "extreme heat" conditions. The manuals for both the 8600 and the R75 state that 140* is the max but gees-I felt that yesterday's near 100* conditions in my shack were max enough. I know heat can kill or at least can shorten internal component life-I remember my old R71A's SSB pots would drift like hell if I didn't run the external fan and that was with normal ambient temps in the shack. Same with the R75 only a few times since 2009.

Far as you others stating your areas' temps yesterday, I feel for ya. I myself can't operate too well in hot temps due to my permanent upper subclavian DVT-it plays hell with my head.

prcguy

In So Cal we have central air but only need it a few day a year at most and some years none at all. Cool breezes come up later in the day and make things real nice. Outside temps run in the 80s during the summer and maybe down to the mid 60s on a "cold" winter day with a few exceptions. These are daytime temps and at night it gets cooler, unlike Dallas where we spend some time and its hotter there at 10pm than it is at noon. Both houses are very well insulated and a little AC in Dallas goes a long way. I thought you guys would be cooler "up there" but maybe not.

With that, my 8600 has not seen any extreme temps beyond maybe high 70s in the room. When I first got it I left it running for weeks to weed out any problems and even then it was just a little warm to the touch.

You being in the southern region of Ca. I'm assuming you too have some sort of AC in your shack? Was your 8600 operating within that controlled climate inside your QTH?
I made this thread intending to make the point that I won't operate my Icoms especially under what I consider "extreme heat" conditions. The manuals for both the 8600 and the R75 state that 140* is the max but gees-I felt that yesterday's near 100* conditions in my shack were max enough. I know heat can kill or at least can shorten internal component life-I remember my old R71A's SSB pots would drift like hell if I didn't run the external fan and that was with normal ambient temps in the shack. Same with the R75 only a few times since 2009.

Far as you others stating your areas' temps yesterday, I feel for ya. I myself can't operate too well in hot temps due to my permanent upper subclavian DVT-it plays hell with my head.

ridgescan

In So Cal we have central air but only need it a few day a year at most and some years none at all. Cool breezes come up later in the day and make things real nice. Outside temps run in the 80s during the summer and maybe down to the mid 60s on a "cold" winter day with a few exceptions. These are daytime temps and at night it gets cooler, unlike Dallas where we spend some time and its hotter there at 10pm than it is at noon. Both houses are very well insulated and a little AC in Dallas goes a long way. I thought you guys would be cooler "up there" but maybe not.

With that, my 8600 has not seen any extreme temps beyond maybe high 70s in the room. When I first got it I left it running for weeks to weed out any problems and even then it was just a little warm to the touch.
Overall, we are cooler here as you've said, hence the disregard for bothering to have some sort of AC at all. But there are times, such as now, when we'll get slammed with high temps and we all get caught off-guard with it. I live in a 10-unit apartment building and I'm on the top floor. The roof is of that type where they roll out these very thin tar/crushed stone granule sheet rolls and flame them to adhesion. IE zero shielding from the sun. The roof, no thanks to lack of insulation, cooks under that sun all day and won't cool out 'till like 10PM where it just starts to get reasonably comfortable for me and my beloved radios. I could stand in my living room, reach my arm up and feel it's probably 10-15* hotter near the ceiling.
Anyways, you my friend, being so steeped in your years of focus and knowledge and sheer final-word wisdom of all things radio, can move freely with confidence regarding these things whereas I am here literally "sweating" the small stuffo_O

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Well, I hope you all are getting some ocean breeze relief, right now (10:20 am) as I type it's 98 in Visalia. Got to 106 at house yesterday.

bharvey2

Overall, we are cooler here as you've said, hence the disregard for bothering to have some sort of AC at all. But there are times, such as now, when we'll get slammed with high temps and we all get caught off-guard with it. I live in a 10-unit apartment building and I'm on the top floor. The roof is of that type where they roll out these very thin tar/crushed stone granule sheet rolls and flame them to adhesion. IE zero shielding from the sun. The roof, no thanks to lack of insulation, cooks under that sun all day and won't cool out 'till like 10PM where it just starts to get reasonably comfortable for me and my beloved radios. I could stand in my living room, reach my arm up and feel it's probably 10-15* hotter near the ceiling.
Anyways, you my friend, being so steeped in your years of focus and knowledge and sheer final-word wisdom of all things radio, can move freely with confidence regarding these things whereas I am here literally "sweating" the small stuffo_O

I'm right there with you on the east side of the Bay but can see San Francisco from my roof. Naturally, we've got no AC but instead rely on the fog rolling in each not to cool us down. No such luck these last few days. The forecasters promised a low of 63F this morning but as I was leaving for work this morning at 5:45am it was 76F. It may have made 82F low inside the house this morning. At least we've had enough fans for the house to manage this wave. I was in the store picking somethings up yesterday and people looking for fans were out of luck as stock was all gone. I'm looking forward to a cooler weekend and maybe an opportunity to head to the garage and spend some radio time.

On the up side. I recently built an Allstar node using an Alinco mobile as a node radio. It's got a full time cooling fan and my monitoring software has reported no trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.