Tornado Siren Freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
I have looked and can not find the answer. I live between two sirens but they are far enough that if the wind is not right I can not hear either siren.

The siren north of me is remotely activated . My question is: does anyone know the freq. for the sirens in Whitley County,Indiana ?
I am assuming that a tone is sent to activate the siren.

Thanks for the help..

laidback

bamx2

Have you listened to the county fire, or EMA freq's? Just an idea to start, if they are radio operated.

Squad10

So what's your plan, hoping to try and listen to the frequency and tones to activate the sirens you can't hear if the wind is not blowing in your direction?

n5ims

Assuming that you're looking to hear warnings when the siren goes off, you should try one of the "NOAA All Hazards Radio" which can be programmed to alert you when your area is under a warning. I believe that the frequency for your area (based on your stated location) is below.

Please note that while these warnings are most often weather related (severe thunderstorm, tornado, etc.), they may also be for other things that your local authorities pass on to the National Weather Service for broadcast. These include (but are not limited to) things like a Fire Warning (a spreading wildfire for example), Hazardous Materials Warning (a natural gas leak for example), Local Area Emergency (a boil order for water due to contamination for example), or even a 911 Telephone Outage Emergency. In most cases, the sirens won't be used for these since they won't provide enough information to the public and may in fact cause them venture into harms way (e.g. the siren goes off in good weather so folks go outside to see what's going on and are exposed to the dangerous fumes from the train derailment when it would've been safer to remain indoors).

Fort Wayne Indiana NOAA Weather Radio WXJ-58 on 162.550 MHz...
in Indiana...Allen, Noble, Dekalb, Whitley, Kosciusko, Wabash, Huntington, Wells, Adams, Jay
in Ohio...Defiance, Paulding

W9NES

go to the FCC data base and look at the Frequencys that are licensed to Whitney County.Program them in and listen fot the test.In Metro Indianapolis/Marion County our sirens are tested every Friday at 11AM and the frequency they use is 155.0025.All I hear are control tones going out on this frequency.I would call your EMA Director for Whitney County and ask him what day and time do they test the warning sirens across your county.Hope this helps.Very Best Reguards,Tim DeLong W9NES *Monitoring all of Metro Indianapolis/Marion County and Central Indiana*

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There is no Whitney County in Indiana.

There is a Whitley County and that's what the OP asked about.

W9NES

Bob, Sorry there is a Whtley County in Indiana.Please feel free to look at The RR Data Base under Indiana and then move up to Whtley County and then look under EMA. Thank You.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
However repetitive it may be to say this again...

There is, however, a Whitley County.

I really don't need a lesson in how to use the Radio Reference database or a lesson in Indiana geography from someone who doesn't see the difference between the letter "l" and the letter "n".

Last edited:

kb9sxk

However repetitive it may be to say this again...

There is, however, a Whitley County.

I really don't need a lesson in how to use the Radio Reference database or a lesson in Indiana geography from someone who doesn't see the difference between the letter "l" and the letter "n".

Don't feel bad, I live in Vandenburgh...(Vanderburgh to the literate folks)

Daniel

Columbia City sirens are activated on 153.635. You are not going to hear much there except for a short tone burst. Testing is coordinated on 145.270. Only one township fire department has tone activated sirens that can be activated by County Dispatch on 154.145, but are not tested. What little sirens that are located in the rest of the county are not remotely activated and are not tested except for the Town of South Whitley manually at 12 noon each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.