Toronto Snowplows

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
So how has the storm treated you? Tallies here in Alberta say we only got a measly 1.4 to 2.8 cm at the end of last week, but the high winds caused drifting over 2m.

I hear Montreal is due for 20 to 30 cm ... is Toronto getting as much?

North of Bloor St I would guess that Toronto got 5 CM, closer to ten where I work north of the 401.
Along the QEW there was about 1 CM and in Burlington south we got less than 1 & it is all gone.
Areas to the north got much more

As per usual the media went apesh*t about the storm and as per usual we all survived.

The usual snow squall areas are due to get hammered, perdictions of 100 cm's in the worst areas.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
Where am I going wrong?

Here's how the numbers look from the last 24 hours (I'm not including TDSB Security or Toronto Hydro here).

Format is:

talkgroup "name on rr" number of hits in 24 hrs

16016 "Waste Alternate" 108
16048 "(not in database)" 6
16144 "Don Mills Yard" 398
16208 "King Yard" 463
16272 "Bering Yard" 127
16336 "North Roads" 343
16400 "Ellesmere Yard" 514
16464 "Dufferin Yard" 451
16496 "(not in database)" 7
16528 "Bermondsey Yard" 582
16560 "Morningside Yard" 875
16592 "Ingram Yard" 580
16625 "(not in database) 32
16688 "Roads" 441

I've been monitoring this system for days and haven't heard a peep! I've been listening at home, at work, in the car... Something must not be setup right in my scanner. I have a BCD396XT and I downloaded the system as-is from the RR database, using FreeScan AND I re-downloaded it again with ARC-XT Pro after a couple of days in case maybe FreeScan fouled it up somehow.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I've been monitoring this system for days and haven't heard a peep! I've been listening at home, at work, in the car... Something must not be setup right in my scanner. I have a BCD396XT and I downloaded the system as-is from the RR database, using FreeScan AND I re-downloaded it again with ARC-XT Pro after a couple of days in case maybe FreeScan fouled it up somehow.

Where are you in the city? Can you hear the c/c?
Did you check your settings, do they match what it says in the DB?
I have the older version of the 396 and when I am at work this system is busy.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
I live in Richmond Hill but drive down and up the DVP each weekday and work right downtown by the lake. I've looked at the settings (as they were downloaded from the RR database, unchanged by me) and this is what I uploaded to my scanner:

System Type Mot Type II / P25
Motorola Status Bit OFF
Motorola End Code OFF
Digital Motorola End Code OFF
Enable I-Call OFF
EDACS ID Format DECIMAL
ID Mode ID SCAN
Tape Out ALL CHANNELS

Site Type Mot 900MHZ Band
APCO Mode AUTO
Threshold 8
Modulation AUTO
Locked Out OFF
20dB Attenuation OFF
Control Channel Only OFF

Trunk Frequencies are as they are in the DB. None are locked out.APCO Band Plan (since it doesn't apply) is all zeroes.

Talkgroups are all set to ANALOG ONLY.

On my way into work this morning, driving down the DVP, I held on one of the control channels. Got lots of motorboarding on 938.4375 and heard voices on some of the other control channels. Switched my scanner from ID Scan to ID Search but still got nothing when scanning the entire system. I'm at work now and it's the same situation: nothing when scanning but voices and motorboarding when holding on the control channels.

Any ideas based on all of that about where I've gone wrong?

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I live in Richmond Hill but drive down and up the DVP each weekday and work right downtown by the lake. I've looked at the settings (as they were downloaded from the RR database, unchanged by me) and this is what I uploaded to my scanner:

System Type Mot Type II / P25- This might be a problem, I dont think its a P25 system
Motorola Status Bit OFF-Try turning it on
Motorola End Code OFF Turn it on
Digital Motorola End Code OFF
Enable I-Call OFF
EDACS ID Format DECIMAL This is not a EDACS system
ID Mode ID SCAN
Tape Out ALL CHANNELS

Site Type Mot 900MHZ Band
APCO Mode AUTO
Threshold 8
Modulation AUTO
Locked Out OFF
20dB Attenuation OFF
Control Channel Only OFF Turn this to on and enter in all the CC's listed

Trunk Frequencies are as they are in the DB. None are locked out.APCO Band Plan (since it doesn't apply) is all zeroes.

Talkgroups are all set to ANALOG ONLY.

On my way into work this morning, driving down the DVP, I held on one of the control channels. Got lots of motorboarding on 938.4375 and heard voices on some of the other control channels. Switched my scanner from ID Scan to ID Search but still got nothing when scanning the entire system. I'm at work now and it's the same situation: nothing when scanning but voices and motorboarding when holding on the control channels.

Any ideas based on all of that about where I've gone wrong?

Cheers,

Rob

Perhaps someone who actually has your scanner can help?

pathalogical

Double check your FreeScan program, make sure it imported the DB info correctly. There have been issues with other software and GO Transit, where the user had to go in and manually make changes in the scanner. As I type this I'm getting non stop talking on Public Works - current CC is 938.4375. Getting 5 bars on my Pro 106 in my basement.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
Double check your FreeScan program, make sure it imported the DB info correctly. There have been issues with other software and GO Transit, where the user had to go in and manually make changes in the scanner. As I type this I'm getting non stop talking on Public Works - current CC is 938.4375. Getting 5 bars on my Pro 106 in my basement.

Well even though I had tried this once before, I again reloaded the system onto my scanner using ARC-XT and damn if it didn't work this time. AFAIK I didn't do anything different. Downloaded the system fresh from RR database, changed nothing, uploaded to scanner.

Thanks everyone for chiming in with suggestions.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.