total noob with MTS-2000 and camnis HSC-010 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas196

Syd Australia (hawkesbury,lower mountains)
Hey everyone, obviously first post so this is the place it goes.

My first question is how do i PM another member? Do i need a higher post count or something because i saw a post from another member about having a user manual for a motorola MTS-2000 and to PM him but the only option i had was to AIM message which i dont use..

I was also wondering if anyone could clarify some things for me about programming my motorola, i have just bought a data cable for it from ebay, will this be all i need to program the buttons and frequencies, (along with the rss or cps of course,) also would i be able to use version 5 cps with this unit, and will i have a problem with reprogramming at all if my unit is Xg0vernment n was used specifically on (old)p01ice and other sensitive bands? or would this have no affect at all..??

Motorola MTS-2000
FLASHport
Model # H01RDH9PW1BN

i dont know firmware or any software related details about this unit because i dont have a manual and cant figure out what the buttons have been programed to previously... i get a beep from a couple on the side and the switch at the top works but im not sure what any of them do and apart from that i can only go through the banks at the top switching between the pre programed channel banks, or at least thats what i presume they are because there titled like kurraj0ng RFS(rural fire service) but these are all the old frequencies because theyve all gone digital now.

Any help or advice would be great i will continu to scour the net but i think ive got to the stage where i would really like to clear up things with people that know what there talking about.

Thanks heaps everyone got a great site here.
Peace
Wade

jas196

Hey mate ive probably read through every one of those pages, as well as the ones on the 2nd and 3rd page of the MTS2000 google search.

I am not having any trouble at all with the scanner except for the carbon pads being worn away from old age so theyve been fixed with silver conductive paint...

I appreciate the help but were you just telling me bugger off and go do more looking because like i stated in my first post im having trouble finding the info i need, i am very computer literate and can generally find the information im after but for some reason i cant find much info on programming it/hardware requirements/software ect and i dont know

MY BIGGEST QUESTIONS ARE!!

1.do i need a RLN4008 RIB to program my unit (NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE!!) - RIB Radio Interface Box for Motorola RLN4008 RLN-4008 - eBay Accessories, Commercial Radios, Industrial Supply MRO, Business Industrial. (end time 27-Aug-09 10:05:50 AEST)

2.If i dont need a RIB is it just the data cable i need and will an after market one work fine? one like this Programming Cable For Motorola XTS3000 HT1000 MTS - eBay Accessories, Ham Radio, Radios CB, Ham Shortwave, Electronics. (end time 24-Aug-09 19:08:58 AEST)

I HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT THIS EXACT DATA CABLE SO I HOPE IT DOES!!!

3. And this might be my biggest question, but what RSS CPS software do i have to use,??? i cant really find any help in this area, im not sure if im looking in the wrong places but like i said im a total noob when it comes to radios (not computers) and and only just starting to learn some of the technical jargon.

Thanks heaps everyone.
Peace
JAS

jas196

Thanks for the quick replys alabamaRS, i went to the motorola forum but i dont think i can PM the administrator to ask to have it moved there, would you mind telling me how to ask to have it moved or should i just re-post my questions over there..?

I only posted here because it was my first post and thought i shouldnt post asking questions in forums when im so new (might annoy people), also i dont like double posting so am reluctant to ask/post the same thing in another thread.

Thanks heaps for the help mate.
Peace
JAS

Josh

Yes you will need a RIB and programming cable. Hopefully the cable you bought has a DB25 on the end of it. I think someone on eBay is selling ribless cables that state they work with HT1000/MT2000 XTS3000, etc... my experiences with these cheap cables is a bricking of a radio that could be recovered only with a legit RIB and Cable.

There are RIBless cables for the XTS2500 and XTS5000 radio that look similar to and therefore "look like" they will work with your radio- they won't.

If it has a front display, pressing the button above the PTT switch 5 times after power up will put the radio into a test mode which will display the firmware and flash-code of your radio. I don't know if it will work on a top display radio, it won't be of any help if the radio has no display at all.

Old firmware = RSS only, CPS will have issues
Newer firmware = CPS or RSS will work, depending on what programmed it last of course (no backward compatibility with previous RSS/CPS versions).

As far as I know the latest and last CPS for the MTS2000 was R02.02.00 from 2006, the CPS 5 you mention may be the CPS for astro radios (XTS3000 and Astro Saber) and is not compatible with the MTS2000.

As far as being a "g0vernment p01ice radio" or w/e, from what you posted, the radio appears to be UHF 403-470, I don't know what issues you'd have, but for ham use, etc it'll work dandy.

Finally, don't worry about moving it to another forum, if a moderator deems it necessary, they will do it, no harm no foul.

jas196

crap i already reposted my questions in the moto forum, sorry for that I hope someone can remove that for me or something...

i dont know the firmware yet as the battery i got is cactus so i was just planning to wait till the new one came, although i could check now but im not sure which is the ptt button? is it one of the 3 one the side(two black one green) or the orange one on top?
My unit has the front lcd with the full keypad

this is the exact cable ive bought here - Programming Cable For Motorola XTS3000 HT1000 MTS - eBay Accessories, Ham Radio, Radios CB, Ham Shortwave, Electronics. (end time 24-Aug-09 19:08:58 AEST)

and the RIB i was looking at if i indeed needed one - RIB Radio Interface Box for Motorola RLN4008 RLN-4008 - eBay Accessories, Commercial Radios, Industrial Supply MRO, Business Industrial. (end time 27-Aug-09 10:05:50 AEST)

any yes the only reason i bought this cable was because the ebay listing states in BOLD RED that "No RIB required in Programming".

also about the fact its Xgov was just mentioning coz i wasnt sure if government agencies would have 'hacked' there radios to preform on frequencies out of range or something to try stop civilians tuning in, though that might complicate things if i were to re-program...like i said im a total noob and i dunno if what im asking even makes sense.

Josh thankyou so much for the detailed and helpful response i cant thank you enough.
peace
JAS

Josh

that RIB is fine, I have the same one and have had good luck.

That cable may or may not work, I'd recommend one that works with the RIB, I don't know what kind of results that other one will bring.

jas196

Well ive been hunting around on ebay, looks like i can get the RIB and cable for around 60 delivered which aint to bad but ive also found a few other cables that say the RIB is built into the cable, have you had any experience with these cables

here - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Programming-...in_0?hash=item588292df81&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Im not quite sure what to do, I need a rib if i brick my phone is that right? so i can see if the RIBLESS cable i already bought works first and if something goes wrong for whatever reason i should be able to hook up propper RIB and flash memory across? is that about right>>?, assuming software/firmware ect. isnt an issue of course.

Thanks again josh.
JAS

just edited so link i provided worked**

Last edited:

Josh

I personally have NOT used that cable.

I do have one for the HT1250 and GM300/MaxTrac/CDM mobile radios. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Depending on the radio and an "if it doesn't" scenario, I've found that using the proper cable and RIB is the only remedy.... so I quit using the cheap cable.

Your mileage may vary, but my recommendation and the consensus from other moto radio enthusiests is to avoid that silly cable and don't bother with it because the writing failure rate is high.

-Josh

jas196

I thought i saw the cable i needed before but it was for a different transiever,

also after doing a bit more reading im starting to worry i might have a trunking radio, how do i tell if i do indeed have one and what are my options if i do?

It was definately used by lawEnforcement prior to my getting it, but all the p0lice radios have gone digital in australia now so this was a old one i got legit.. It was/is still programed with the old channels(emergency services) which i can select by the chanel nob on top (none of which had any activity beside one i was picking up something occasionally, appart from that i couldnt figure out if the front keys had a function because they didnt do anything when i pressed them, even the home button..

I was just hoping that becausse it was p0lice issue it might not have been programed to utelize the radio fully and the front buttons were never programed to stop the coontstables playing with them.

I dunno hope someone can help
Peace

Josh

Any cable for HT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, MTX838, MTX8000, MTX9000, and/or XTS3000 will work. These all use the same cable.

Avoid XTS2500 and XTS5000 cables as they are NOT compatible with the MTS2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.