• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Trail Cams

Not sure if it's the exact model, but at one of our very remote sites they have a bunch of these. They leave them out there for months at a time with no issues. I think the issue would be that leaving them in the field long enough to worry about batteries would go against the purpose of them.

AA alkaline batteries will vary on how much power they can supply based off manufacturer and how fast/slow you drain them. Usually the good ones will do 1 to 2 amp/hours.
A 5 ampere/hour 12 volt battery will obviously give you a longer run time. Add a solar cell, and it could run indefinitely, or at least until the memory card filled up. Get a gel-cell, a box and a cheap 12 volt solar panel from Harbor Freight and you'd be good to go.

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, its for around my property so it won't be in one spot for too long. It wasn't too far back in time that gadgets requiring 12 volts worth of batteries chewed through them regularly. I suppose the LEDs would be the biggest drain, but only if they are activated by the motion sensor.

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
had the unit for a week now, pic quality is very good, in fact just as it says on the box. sensitivity is adjustable and also takes multi-shots in one go. haven't caught anything wild yet, but i put it out the back when i let the dog out at night to test it and it's good. video is hd and very good. (tested in daylight only), not a bad investment for $40 AUD. now waiting for it to rain to see if she truley stands up to the quoted ISO standard waterproof.

Your camera looks to be one made by Acorn.
They make cameras with unique side prep-sensors that provide a much wider sensing angle that enhances the camera's response speed.
They have a very fast trigger speed.
Acorn cameras are amongst the best made and there are more in use around the world than all others combined.

You should install lithium batteries in it.
Battery life depends on use and your camera type.
I get 9 to 16 months of battery life in my cameras.

Hunting is huge in Saskatchewan and every hunter has cameras out most of the year.

I will post a few pictures from some of the dozen plus and still growing numbers of trail cameras on my various properties.

Please post your pictures for us to see too.

Attachments

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Great pics! Yes, i'm very happy with the cam. I haven't been keeping the images, but i will now just to post a few. I generally get a few kangaroos moving through during the night and our local wallaby. The cam was excellent at allowing me to easily identify and track the local feral cats back to where they were hiding over a 7 day period. Glad i made the relatively small investment.

Now that's what I wanted too see !
That camera captures great images in the dark of night with just the right amount of flash and exposure time.
Thanks for sharing !

That's a ferrel dog alright.
If you have a dog and that's what the ferrel dog will be finding so attractive about your property.

I understand ferrel dogs are a huge problem there.

With apex predators like cougars and wolves plus severe winters ferrel dogs and cats would have little chance of survival in Saskatchewan.

Cheers !

Last edited:
Last December 15th I put out several trail cameras and retrieved them on March 15th of this year.

A couple the cameras had the usual pictures of the local wildlife totaling more than 700 images.

I had difficulty finding one camera farthest away and deepest in the woods.

Then I found it. This camera had 2760 images of wildlife to look through taking much time.

I never know just what will show up amongst those many images.

On the morning of February 7th it was -36 decreases and in the afternoon the temperature when the 5 images that drew my attention were captured it was -27 degrees.

I will post only one of these edited for size images here because of privacy.
The lands where the cameras were located is all posted no trespassing.

I always say expect the unexpected.

Cheers.

Attachments

Last edited:

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Amazing. so to clarify: that image is of a trespasser wandering around, deep in the woods at -27 degrees? I'm really enjoying my cam, gets put out every sunset at various spots on the property and brought back in the late morning. Always something different on it.

It's great that your getting enjoyment from your camera's pictures !

And yes the young man that my camera caught trespassing was getting some exercise out in the woods in the middle of nowhere at -27 degrees. I really don't mind.

I don't think he even noticed the camera was there.

Very unusual behavior as most his age would be sitting around in a warm place playing with their smart phones.

I got several really good images of him so I will recognize him if and when we meet.

Cheers !