Transmit CTCSS Encode Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
What is the easiest/quickest way to search for the proper PL / DPL Tone needed to open the repeaters receiver? In other words how can I quickly search for the proper Tone that I need to transmit in order to operate or use the repeater? Obviously if the repeater is using the same TX/RX Tone it becomes much easier because searching for the RX Tone is much easier. However more and more repeaters are using split tones or a combination of PL and DPL on the TX and RX frequency.

Is there a device that can do this process? Or am I stuck with the trial and error or process of elimination method?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Easy. Just simply tone search the Input of the repeater, instead of the Output. Or check their Coordination data. :). 73, n9zas

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
What is the easiest/quickest way to search for the proper PL / DPL Tone needed to open the repeaters receiver? In other words how can I quickly search for the proper Tone that I need to transmit in order to operate or use the repeater? Obviously if the repeater is using the same TX/RX Tone it becomes much easier because searching for the RX Tone is much easier. However more and more repeaters are using split tones or a combination of PL and DPL on the TX and RX frequency.

Is there a device that can do this process? Or am I stuck with the trial and error or process of elimination method?
Um, have you tried looking up the repeater(s) in repeaterbook.com? Many, many amateur repeaters are listed there including input tone. They also list the status of the repeater so you will know if it's open for use. Same for the amateur pages for each county here on RR.

Most scanners have a mode that will determine the PL or DPL of any transmission they receive. I picked up an older Radio Shack scanner that does this just fine for analog transmissions.

Knowing the output tone of a repeater is nice, but only really needed if you're battling interference of some kind. Most of us run CSQ on the Rx side.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I usually try and do some research on the internet or other sources to help determine the proper tones. Tone searching the input frequency only works if I can pick up someone else transmitting.

Many times the repeater's receiver is all that is tone protected and the transmitter does not transmit a tone with it's signal. If the repeater's transmitter does encode a tone and it is the same tone as the repeaters receiver is decoding then this is very simple to figure out.

Most of the amateur repeaters are fairly well advertised and posted as to the proper tone required to use the repeater. However I also operate as an Incident Communications Technician on a All-Hazard Incident Management Team. Many times we are responding to or operating in an area with public safety repeater coverage that I don't have all the information for. Most of the time I can find the repeater sites and frequencies on the internet, RadioReference is a great resource for this. Although if there are any tones listed it is usually only the receive tone. A vast majority of the time we end up relying on the local public safety repeaters for communications on the incident at least for the initial operating period until portable repeaters can be setup. In the mean time I am usually responsible for determining which repeaters have the best coverage for the incident and then establishing a Communications Plan with all the frequencies and associated tones for the Repeaters and Tactical channels. I usually try to preplan and obtain the Communications Plan/Guide for the areas and counties in which we may respond or when I get to the incident I try to find a local resource who may have this information. This doesn't always work so having tools and devices to help me determine all the necessary components of the Communications Plan is very helpful.

wrath

If you use a phone, phablet or wifi tablet that has GPS you can also use the Rfinder app , it will end your GPS and then based on your location , frequencies you want to work and the mile area you set ( say 20 mile radius) t will,populate a list of all working repeaters There Pl and any special features such as Dst, sll star, echolink , e power etc , it is also compatible with many of the radio programming software such as Rt Systems and can input and program the entire list into you Radio, I recently reprogrammed one of my rigs with 347 unique repeaters and all associated info in less than 20 seconds , also repeaters in the same general area tend to use the same Pl in my local area that happens to be 186.2 .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

If you use a phone, phablet or wifi tablet that has GPS you can also use the Rfinder app , it will end your GPS and then based on your location , frequencies you want to work and the mile area you set ( say 20 mile radius) t will,populate a list of all working repeaters There Pl and any special features such as Dst, sll star, echolink , e power etc , it is also compatible with many of the radio programming software such as Rt Systems and can input and program the entire list into you Radio, I recently reprogrammed one of my rigs with 347 unique repeaters and all associated info in less than 20 seconds , also repeaters in the same general area tend to use the same Pl in my local area that happens to be 186.2 .

Repeaterbook also has an app that does the same thing. Also Repeaterbook's website will let you download a file to program with. Also rt systems and chirp support direct rb downloads. It is also 100% free.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Repeater Book is great but it has some drawbacks. It's not always current and for good reason. It would be a monumental task to constantly check to see which were still active. Then, of course, some might also be down for maintenance or other problems.

I recently made a thousand mile trip and specifically programmed my radio with repeaters along the way. I double-checked accuracy of the entries. Out of 99 that I put in, roughly half did not work for whatever reason. The operators may have changed the frequency or the CTCSS codes or they may simply be no long active.

Having said that, I still recommend repeaterbook.com. It's a great resource.

KD8DVR

Repeater Book is great but it has some drawbacks. It's not always current and for good reason. It would be a monumental task to constantly check to see which were still active. Then, of course, some might also be down for maintenance or other problems.

I recently made a thousand mile trip and specifically programmed my radio with repeaters along the way. I double-checked accuracy of the entries. Out of 99 that I put in, roughly half did not work for whatever reason. The operators may have changed the frequency or the CTCSS codes or they may simply be no long active.

Having said that, I still recommend repeaterbook.com. It's a great resource.
Depends on where you are and if that state has admin coverage. Did you report the repeaters that weren't working?

Yeah. It's a lot of work. In Ohio, if it says it's on air...it's on air. Admins really need to constantly research..but being user supported...anyone can give a status report.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

wrath

Well that's what I like about Rfinder is users can update the status of a repeater, I believe if a repeater is noted as down it will drop off the list until the owner or administrator resists it, each individual ham using it can update the list real-time from there phone. I am a life member of the league and was going to get there software until I got waved off by many people telling similar stories about loading a rig for a long drive and having no com what so ever , another feature I like about Rfinder is you can actually plot your route , like I travel about 6 hours to a doctor's office by Greyhound if they took the damn highway it would be two hours and totally different repeaters than I use driving through EBE so it's worked out for me , I can vouch for the machines in EBE , I got turned on to it by asking a friend who makes me look young having my ticket for 25 years , he not only operates and owns several local repeaters but is a snow bird and operates all his local nets no matter where he is via various links and such , but he told me about the plotting feature of it that he uses to reprogram for his snow exodus every year both ways . I will have to try the repeater book anything that works is worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.