transmitting/receiving on military frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamlogan

Hi All,
I'm new here, doing some research for a paper, and I have a dumb newbie question.

There seem to be plenty of scanners that'll scan military frequencies like 225-400 and 138-144 mhz. What commercially-available antenna is best to use for this purpose?

Assuming I built or somehow found a transmitter for those same frequencies, will it work with the same antenna that I use to receive? Or is there a frequency-specific "transmitter widget" that has to be built into the antenna in order for it to transmit?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Pam L

prcguy

The typical scanner Discone antennas made by Radio Shack, Diamond, Icom, Workman, Tram, etc, cover the entire 138-400MHz range and then some with consistent performance everywhere. They can also be used for transmitting within those ranges.

Why would you want to transmit in those ranges? If you get caught it will be expensive and the military does occasionally practice direction finding techniques within their bands.

Hi All,
I'm new here, doing some research for a paper, and I have a dumb newbie question.

There seem to be plenty of scanners that'll scan military frequencies like 225-400 and 138-144 mhz. What commercially-available antenna is best to use for this purpose?

Assuming I built or somehow found a transmitter for those same frequencies, will it work with the same antenna that I use to receive? Or is there a frequency-specific "transmitter widget" that has to be built into the antenna in order for it to transmit?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Pam L

Status
Not open for further replies.