Travel scanner antenna recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike445

I have a question I wonder if anybody can help me with? I traveled quite extensively and in certain hotels I have a hard time picking up anything with any of my antenna selections. I have the suction cup wire antenna that Uniden supplied with the 885 although I have never tried it.

What can y’all recommend for a good and unobtrusive travel antenna? I’m looking for something good on VHF and UHF public safety that will work somewhat well on 700-900 systems.

I’m not new to scanning by any means but finally decided to ask for some advice on this topic. Thank you.
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Roll one of these up in your suitcase and when you get to your hotel unroll it and hang it on the balcony, out the window, or in the window. Totally portable and covers the major scanner bands. (Scroll down the page to the wire version... you'll have a hard time getting the copper pipe version into your suitcase) -
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Homebrewed_Off-Center_Fed_Dipole

Mike445

Roll one of these up in your suitcase and when you get to your hotel unroll it and hang it on the balcony, out the window, or in the window. Totally portable and covers the major scanner bands. (Scroll down the page to the wire version... you'll have a hard time getting the copper pipe version into your suitcase) -
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Homebrewed_Off-Center_Fed_Dipole

Thank you! That’s what I’m looking for!

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
When I'm in a motel room that has a heat/ac unit right under the window I've done surprisingly well with a mag mount stuck to the metal case of the unit. I'll sometimes ask for a room on the highest available floor to get some elevation also.

Mike445

When I'm in a motel room that has a heat/ac unit right under the window I've done surprisingly well with a mag mount stuck to the metal case of the unit. I'll sometimes ask for a room on the highest available floor to get some elevation also.

That’s what I do much of the time now!
Mike

Mike445

Thanks everyone. I explored all options and decided on the dual band Slim Jim as my primary travel antenna. I’ll have it Saturday. I might also give the RTL-SDR product a try but the reviews aren’t great for the quality of the telescopic antennas. Once I find the Balun (75/300 matching transformer) I’ll be building the off center fed dipole. I appreciate all the ideas y’all gave me.
Mike

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone. I explored all options and decided on the dual band Slim Jim as my primary travel antenna. I’ll have it Saturday. I might also give the RTL-SDR product a try but the reviews aren’t great for the quality of the telescopic antennas. Once I find the Balun (75/300 matching transformer) I’ll be building the off center fed dipole. I appreciate all the ideas y’all gave me.
Mike

One of dozens you’ll find not only on Amazon.com but also in most home & hardware stores-
Quick Push-On Ohm Matching Transformer Balun 75-300 Ohm Off-Air TV Antenna Balum Coax Cable Female Signal Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VT54SY4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sIF3Cb607GHHN

Mike445

Status
Not open for further replies.