Trooper Repeater Freq Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stummej

Hi i am currently trying to setup my 996t to pick up on the trooper's mobile repeater like the BCT-8 did but today i drove right past a trooper between iowa city and the first rest stop on i-80 west and it didnt go off, but tonight when i was headed home it went off in cedar falls followed by some scrambled P25 car to car transmissions. So currently i have 453.625, 458.625, 458.625 programmed in with alerts.... should there be more? these i got out of the database here...

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Hi i am currently trying to setup my 996t to pick up on the trooper's mobile repeater like the BCT-8 did but today i drove right past a trooper between iowa city and the first rest stop on i-80 west and it didnt go off, but tonight when i was headed home it went off in cedar falls followed by some scrambled P25 car to car transmissions. So currently i have 453.625, 458.625, 458.625 programmed in with alerts.... should there be more? these i got out of the database here...

Just because you SAW a trooper, doesnt mean he was using the radio. I've never tried listening to the mobile extenders so I cant help ya there... Just point ya to the DB, which it seems you already have the freqs.

stummej

so how does the beartracker work then, does it just listen for those frequencies or is there some kind of special hardware/firmware that does it?

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
It only listens for when that frequency is active. If he's not talking on a repeater-enabled frequency when you drive by, you won't hear him. Troopers seldom use their radios as much as most other agencies. Alot of stuff is done on computer via email or just not called in at all. It drives me nuts (for their safety) but that's the way they do it.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I hear a ton of analog activity on the vehicle repeater channels in Des Moines, especially when I am at the state capitol. I use whatever frequencies are currently in the RR database. I also heard them on the vehicle repeater channels when I was in Waterloo during the flood.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

Another point... These frequencies will only be active when they are using their portable radios, which I have only ever found ONCE. I was eating lunch with a trooper and he recieved a notification to call his family for a personal emergency.

We were in Humboldt, so I'm positive his portable didnt go from in the restaraunt to Blairsburg. If it did, then I have seriously under-estimated the power of a Visar.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Another point... These frequencies will only be active when they are using their portable radios, which I have only ever found ONCE. I was eating lunch with a trooper and he recieved a notification to call his family for a personal emergency.

We were in Humboldt, so I'm positive his portable didnt go from in the restaraunt to Blairsburg. If it did, then I have seriously under-estimated the power of a Visar.

Yeah, that makes much more sense now. I've also wondered if the vehicle repeaters would work if the engine was turned off... and I'm assuming that the Humboldt trooper's car was turned off while he was in the restaurant.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Yeah, that makes much more sense now. I've also wondered if the vehicle repeaters would work if the engine was turned off... and I'm assuming that the Humboldt trooper's car was turned off while he was in the restaurant.

I would think for safety, some of the comm gear would still work until the car is completely dead...

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Im not for sure if they work when the car is off but I would have to agree with burner50. I'll ask 366 the next time I see him in town, but we normally have opposite days off it seems.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Not to mention it would be a pain to wire everthing to the ignition switch.

timkilbride

Database Admin

The car repeater(453/458.625) are still active even when they are NOT using there portable. What ever there car radio is hearing, it repeats it out through the car repeater on 458.625. They do have a switch in the car to turn the car repeater off/on. Sometimes it is left in the ON position when they are driving around and not outside of the car. The SOP for arriving at a scene says the first trooper on scene leaves his car repeater on, everyone else arriving afterwards is suppose to shut theres off to avoid any confussion b/w all the mobile car repeaters. Hopefully this clears some stuff up.

Tim K.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Mobile repeaters in trooper cars are activated by opening the drivers door, then manually shut off by the trooper. I'm sure they can manually turn them ON also.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Most PAC R/T are smart that they can sense when another unit is near by and automatically make one of them the lead and the rest passive, therefore you're not all trying to communicate with a 100 different transmitters in a 20 foot area.

And yes, just because he's out on foot or driving doesn't mean it has to be on. Some guys don't like hearing the slight delay from the mobile to the portable.

Another funny thing is hearing them on their TAC channels, they really think they're not being listened to and last few days I keep hearing 425 ask the others where they're going to meet up at to each lunch.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I've noticed in my area they've been chatting it up on C.I.S. like they think nobody can hear them.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Most PAC R/T are smart that they can sense when another unit is near by and automatically make one of them the lead and the rest passive, therefore you're not all trying to communicate with a 100 different transmitters in a 20 foot area.

And yes, just because he's out on foot or driving doesn't mean it has to be on. Some guys don't like hearing the slight delay from the mobile to the portable.

Another funny thing is hearing them on their TAC channels, they really think they're not being listened to and last few days I keep hearing 425 ask the others where they're going to meet up at to each lunch.

You are right about the PAC R/T, however everyone arriving after the first car is suppose to shut theirs down to avoid any conflicts. This came from a ISP communications tech.

stummej

the trooper that lives behind my parents house never turns his mobile repeater off... every morning around 6am the alert goes off on my parents bct-8

Status
Not open for further replies.