Troubleshooting etrunker with data slicer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhzscan

Just bought a used Sony Vaio with a serial port and copied over a working folder of etrunker that was installed in a previous computer. Data slicer is good since its been working fine on another desktop. Reception of CC is excellent, i'm a mile from the tower. I formatted the laptop and installed Windows XP Pro, the serial port is set to COM1, with the following default settings:

Bits per Second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None

Autoexec is pointing to C:\etrunk\trackenv.txt. The Trackenv.txt is as follows:

TRACKSLICERPORT=COM1
TRACKSLICERPIN=CTS
TRACKSLICERMODE=INVERT
TRACKSCANPORT=COM1
TRACKDIGITAL=1

When I run etrunker, my status shows sig?inv. I have alternated between invert and normal with no luck. Same with the slicer pin. I though I may have a bad serial port so I tried the slicer utility. When i run slicer 1, I see there is activity and the following results:

COM1: DTR=Low RTS=high (Normal)
Active pins: CTS
CTS alternates rapidly between High/Low.

I have upgraded the BIOS, still no luck. I read somewhere that depending on the data slicer, it may require sufficient power to it. Will look at the DOS windows properties, see if I have missed something. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Etrunker runs very poorly in Windows DOS if at all. If you must have Windows on the computer, wipe the drive and install real DOS in a 1 GB partition. Then install Windows and allow it to configure the PC to dual boot. An alternative is to format a USB jump drive in DOS and use it to boot the PC when running Etrunker. I use this method with a Thinkpad T43 and it works well. Your PC needs to be able to boot from a USB stick for this to work.

mhzscan

I've used eTrunker successfully in the past on an XP, Vista 32bit, and Server 2003 32bit machine. The reason i wanted XP was because I was hoping to run etrunker and TrunkerDM 24/7 in the same box and have network access to bring over the data. I'm currently running etrunker on a XP desktop, but need to get something that consumes less power and take up less space. Thanks though.

SCPD

QRT
Have you looked at Eric's ewtrnk? It's built to run on Windows. No slicer required. Uses the same text files for trunking data.

mhzscan

OK, I think I got it. Found it here, http://forums.radioreference.com/304271-post63.html . Software looks promising, any documentation out there for it?

Tried it on the laptop, but now getting a wantWIn status. Does this work with the a data slcier & discriminator tap. I currently have a Pro-43 with a tap on it. I also have a bcd396XT, but would prefer to use the older scanner for this. Thanks!

mhzscan

Ok, I've answered my own question. I use an audio cable with adapter to connect the tap from my Pro-43 to the MIC input on my laptop. Ewtrk is now capturing data! However my signal went from 99% to 23%. I've increased the volume on the Mic input, but no improvement. Data is lagging as well but that may be due to the loss of signal. What now? I like running this version over DOS.

SCPD

QRT
Make sure you have the latest. Use the original Trunker documentation as a starting point.

Run an oscilloscope program to see the waveform. Turning the volume up or down may help. You may also need to insert a resistor between radio and computer.

Attachments

• wtk384a3 EDACS.zip
    188.4 KB · Views: 64
  • wtk384a3 Motorola.zip
    191.9 KB · Views: 66

mhzscan

Thanks unitrunker, I've found the built in help in the ewtrnk.exe. Trying out different computers, i figured out that this port doesn't work in 64bit. For an oscillation program, i guess I could use your built-in one in unitrunker, do you have another recommendation for an oscillator app? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.