Troy MI Area MPSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
I travel to the Troy area from time to time. I have the MPSCS towers listed for Oakland County programmed in my 1088. Staying generally on the 10th floor of a hotel and being able to see all the way to Detroit I am surprised how little traffic I hear and how bad the towers listed for Oakland County sound. I am wondering if I am not programming the correct tower or towers in. Can anyone tell me what towers service that area?

GeneseeCoMI

I am not concerned with the county / cities themselves. I want to listen to Michigan's state wide system.

The only Oakland County MPSCS talkgroups worth listening to are MSP Metro North Dispatch on 2007 and Community EMS Dispatch on 12213. Everything else is dead pretty much.

Make sure to turn the squelch all the way down (counterclockwise). I've been in motels plenty of times, usually on the ground floor, and heard Project 25 Phase I systems perfectly.

Last edited:

RayAir

A lot of sites are CQPSK and probably sound like crap on your scanner.

Try the Northville site. It's C4FM and I can receive it good on my handheld as far north as Auburn Hills.

The Lakeville site should come in strong in Troy too.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
There is also the Beech Daly (Southfield) site. It is also C4FM.

freqs

you could also try the Lakeville tower or Macomb co tower I have good luck at my dads house on the troy sterling hgts Rochester boarder

freqs

You could also try Lakeville tower 853.9500 cc. Or Macomb tower 853.9875 cc may give you good coverage .I do well with both in south Warren as well as Utica at my dads house on the Troy Rochester boarder.But there is as well a lot of conv freqs in Oakland county that are still in use

PBN1979

I live near 75/696 and cannot pick up MPSCS at all. Nada. Zilch.
A few miles north, some talkgroups start coming in, but not well.
In Southfield, I get a lot. Ive picked up Genesee County and all the Livingston talkgroups. Strange, because I tried monitoring in Livingston and couldnt pick up those talkgroups in the county itself.
I don't pretend to understand the coverage of MPSCS and its quirks.

RayAir

Using my scanner, the MPSCS comes in horrible in many locations throughout Oakland County.

In areas where there are lots of cell towers it usually shows full bars of interference. If I use global attenuation it sometimes helps.

An example of how bad it is, is I can be in Royal Oak and can't even rx the CC for the Southfield tower. Warren comes in good though.

I purchased an XTS 5000 earlier this year and the difference is night and day. It receives and sounds worlds better than a scanner. And no I didn't use the system key method and it is receive only. I set it to scan the voice frequencies and look for certain groups and set the last group as 65535 so it will open up for any group that is active.

It's not perfect, but it receives where my scanner doesn't and can handle the CQPSK sites.

MPSCS coverage in Oakland County is fairly piss poor. Units that come into the county can be frequently heard saying "you're broken" or " you went digital". Others wonder why their radio kept saying "CC Scan".

For a scanner I would try to use a RS 800 antenna.
I have the best results with that.

GeneseeCoMI

Using my scanner, the MPSCS comes in horrible in many locations throughout Oakland County.

In areas where there are lots of cell towers it usually shows full bars of interference. If I use global attenuation it sometimes helps.

An example of how bad it is, is I can be in Royal Oak and can't even rx the CC for the Southfield tower. Warren comes in good though.

I purchased an XTS 5000 earlier this year and the difference is night and day. It receives and sounds worlds better than a scanner. And no I didn't use the system key method and it is receive only. I set it to scan the voice frequencies and look for certain groups and set the last group as 65535 so it will open up for any group that is active.

It's not perfect, but it receives where my scanner doesn't and can handle the CQPSK sites.

MPSCS coverage in Oakland County is fairly piss poor. Units that come into the county can be frequently heard saying "you're broken" or " you went digital". Others wonder why their radio kept saying "CC Scan".

For a scanner I would try to use a RS 800 antenna.
I have the best results with that.

There must be something seriously wrong with your scanners then because I can get the Holly tower 5 bars indoors on my handhelds with the RS 800 MHz antenna and I'm 27 miles away. Royal Oak to Southfield is only 4 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.