Trump Declares National Emergency to Protect U.S. Communications Against Foreign Firms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what defines the ambiguous and broad term... "communications technology"?

Does it mean whatever the government defines it as, at the time they're using it... depending
on the situation and circumstances?

73 to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger KN4OTS

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
"Foreign adversary" (in the article) is an important distinction from "foreign company".

If it was "foreign company" that would mean nothing could be brought in from even Canada or Mexico or some place "western". First of all I'm unsure if there's even any domestically-made telco gear (although I admit ignorance in the majority of the infrastructure), so if you're not willing to get Samsung, or Nokia or Ericsson or other hardware, it's going to be hard to come up with the radios necessary.

"Foreign adversary" is obviously aimed at very specific entities like Huawei and China. The term "adversary" is kind of dangerous though, because some countries might consider that all but a declaration of war.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You cannot trust China

Funny they say the same thing about us.

The emergency is that we are behind them with 5G technology. Don't mention Baofeng and Huawei in the same sentence. Baofeng makes cheap two-way radios. Huawei makes state of the art telecom equipment. They have moved Apple to third position worldwide in the cell phone market.

Will Huawei 5G networks pose a threat to national security? They pose the same threat as any other network. If you don't encrypt your communications, someone, somewhere will intercept it (if they care enough).

When the Soviets launched Sputnik we realized just how far we had fallen behind in the space race. We caught up and took the lead. Yet, now we depend on Russia for launch vehicles.

In the US it has always been about our determination to get ahead. We can compete in 5G if we want to and move ahead past Huawei.

Our complacency is the emergency.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
I think SpaceX would disagree with the "Yet, now we depend on Russia for launch vehicles."

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I think SpaceX would disagree with the "Yet, now we depend on Russia for launch vehicles."

SpaceX keeps further delaying upcoming planned launches. The comment about depending on Russia for launch vehicles is becoming more of a reality with each passing day and more SpaceX launch delays announced.

It's mainly the Starlink internet satellites but could include other launches I assume.
SpaceX Again Delays Starlink Internet Satellite Launch

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Funny they say the same thing about us.

The emergency is that we are behind them with 5G technology. Don't mention Baofeng and Huawei in the same sentence. Baofeng makes cheap two-way radios. Huawei makes state of the art telecom equipment. They have moved Apple to third position worldwide in the cell phone market.

Will Huawei 5G networks pose a threat to national security? They pose the same threat as any other network. If you don't encrypt your communications, someone, somewhere will intercept it (if they care enough).

When the Soviets launched Sputnik we realized just how far we had fallen behind in the space race. We caught up and took the lead. Yet, now we depend on Russia for launch vehicles.

In the US it has always been about our determination to get ahead. We can compete in 5G if we want to and move ahead past Huawei.

Our complacency is the emergency.

So true. The US as a whole is allowing itself to fall behind others in multiple areas. Chinese spying has helped put Huawei and their other tech and military equipment manufacturers far ahead of where they would have otherwise been, and again, this is because our leaders and many in charge of corporate IT security, are inept. It didn't take a crystal ball to see this coming. If this isn't taken seriously there will be harsh consequences in the future.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I think you're all missing the point. Hauwei is China. Putting national telecomm under Chinese control is a threat to national security.
Considering the impact of Hauwei worldwide, I think you nailed it.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
SpaceX keeps further delaying upcoming planned launches. The comment about depending on Russia for launch vehicles is becoming more of a reality with each passing day and more SpaceX launch delays announced.

It's mainly the Starlink internet satellites but could include other launches I assume.
SpaceX Again Delays Starlink Internet Satellite Launch

The launch delays were first for high-altitude winds, and the second for a last-minute firmware update for the satellites. In any event, this argument is moot, since SpaceX launched the Starlink mission yesterday (May 23rd).

I wonder how many reusable launch vehicles the Russians have? I wonder how many Russian first stage boosters have flown three or more times? The Falcon 9 Block 5 is designed to fly up to 10 times before requiring refurb.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Like it or not, the whole country has done it for years. Almost no electronic devices are made in this country. At this point, I don't believe we could even afford to create an electronics manufacturing industry in America and certainly not one to compete with China.

radio3353

Like it or not, the whole country has done it for years. Almost no electronic devices are made in this country. At this point, I don't believe we could even afford to create an electronics manufacturing industry in America and certainly not one to compete with China.

Your statement would be a little more accurate had you inserted consumer before "electronic devices." There are still plenty of defense, aerospace and astrospace electronics manufactured in this country. I spent a very lucrative 43 year career in those fields. And don't discount America's ability to 'ramp up' if needed. Remember WWII.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Your statement would be a little more accurate had you inserted consumer before "electronic devices." There are still plenty of defense, aerospace and astrospace electronics manufactured in this country. I spent a very lucrative 43 year career in those fields. And don't discount America's ability to 'ramp up' if needed. Remember WWII.
You're right. My bad. I should have specified "consumer" products.

I still have misgivings about America's ability to get into the consumer electronics business. The attitude and temperament of Americans was different during WWII. People worked and the majority didn't have the sense of entitlement they do now.

I was born during WWII, still get a lump in my throat during the National Anthem and am a military veteran so I'm not down on this country. I'm just being a realist. It just ain't the same as it used to be.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Nobody wants a devastating WW3 nuke war in our world. That being said, I think our adversaries see our weaknesses and are exploiting them as we speak. A subtle invasion of IT networks and communications networks/systems and power grids are now a viable threat. Where we are the most exposed and vulnerable. Just look at what two airplanes crashing into the World Trade Center did to our immediate economy, the effects on business and the stock market, etc etc etc. Now think of what a major electrical and technological blackout would cause in our country. Scary stuff, indeed. I think President Trump knows what he is doing.

JD
kf4anc

2wayfreq

It IS weird that you can order a full on USA Made OP509 Harris/Thales Military portable from China on Ebay for $300.00. I thought they were US Restricted? Smuggled in and reselling?

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Is there anyone here that would care to discuss the actual / probable effect of Huwei products on the security of US telecoms infrastructure? Anybody that works in the business?

nowires

They have snooper boards secretly placed on regularly produced motherboards. Hardly noticeable stealth technology that can route the traffic back to China is what I've heard. We don't know even know how to build some of this stuff.

slicerwizard

They have snooper boards secretly placed on regularly produced motherboards. Hardly noticeable stealth technology that can route the traffic back to China is what I've heard. We don't know even know how to build some of this stuff.
I heard the same nonsense, but I don't go around repeating it.

D

DaveNF2G

I don't expect the intelligence community to publicize whatever they know. The President gets a lot more information from them than we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.