Trunked system and analog scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furmn8r

Premium Subscriber
I have a old Pro-2004 that I used for many years and still works great. The NJ state police use a trunk system I would like to listen to. Can I just put all the voice channels used in my Pro-2004 and hear them? I know they might not be in order when the system switches to another frequency but I thought I might be able to hear some of it. I guess they are NFM also?

Thanks for the help

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Well looks like they use 800 MHz Moto Type II, with some digital and some analog TG's. So you should be able to monitor the voice frequencies broadcasting analog TG's. You will basically hear continuous partial conversations from the Analog AND digital P-25 Talkgroups every few seconds. So you will hear the partial analog calls, but the P-25 calls (broadcast on the same voice frequency) will sound like engine noise.

Incidentally, if you get 2 $20 SDR dongles and suitable antennas along with Unitrunker and DSD+, you can properly monitor the system from your computer for dirt cheap.

ScannerSK

If you are referring to the New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) Trunking System then no. This is a digital system and the voice channels cannot be monitored using an analog scanner.

If you are referring to the New Jersey State Police Trunking System then it may be possible to monitor the voice channels in some locations. RadioReference states it is a Motorola Type II trunking system with both analog and P-25 voice channels. Some of the towers may have analog voice channels while other towers may have digital voice channels.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.