• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trunking Radio System Grants

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2ZHY

Feed Provider
Folks,

I actively ride on a volunteer rescue squad and fire department (separate organizations, same borough) in central New Jersey. For a few years, we have been applying for grants to convert to a trunking radio system, as our county has one in place, but we don't have the money to do it ourselves.

Any information on any possible grant out there for a motorola type II smartzone network that I could apply for would be awesome!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why do you think you need one? Actually, just how much activity do you even have?

The federal cookie cutters won't be passing out valuable frequencies just because someone thinks it's cool to have a radio go blippity blip before talking on it.

jim202

You would be much better off trying to obtain money for just your mobile and portable needs to ride on
the existing county trunking system. I would talk with them about working out some agreement.

You can't justify a license for just your agency for a trunking system. Besides that, you will probably
find that there are a lack of available trunking channels.

Jim

Folks,

I actively ride on a volunteer rescue squad and fire department (separate organizations, same borough) in central New Jersey. For a few years, we have been applying for grants to convert to a trunking radio system, as our county has one in place, but we don't have the money to do it ourselves.

Any information on any possible grant out there for a motorola type II smartzone network that I could apply for would be awesome!

WX5JCH

Banned
We asked, and got it, MotoTrbo system, link to the state DPS system 2-mtr ham radio, and a sat phone. all for the asking. Just talk to your homeland security rep. Lots of paperwork but it's worth it.

Grog

Banned
We asked, and got it, MotoTrbo system, link to the state DPS system 2-mtr ham radio, and a sat phone. all for the asking. Just talk to your homeland security rep. Lots of paperwork but it's worth it.

It's a shame you didn't actually buy anything that was meant for public safety use :lol:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø

Motorola no longer sells Type II smartzone or expansions to current systems. The only components that are still available are Gold Elite consoles and that is only until December of this year.

Motorola now only sells P25 trunking to public safety agencies, but Type II subscribers wil be available until 2015 or 2016.

SCPD

QRT
Motorola now only sells P25 trunking to public safety agencies, but Type II subscribers wil be available until 2015 or 2016.
EF Johnson will likely continue to sell their Type II compatible radios beyond this date.

jon_k

Motorola no longer sells Type II smartzone or expansions to current systems. The only components that are still available are Gold Elite consoles and that is only until December of this year.

Why did they stop selling the older system? Because the repeaters don't cost half a million dollars as the digital repeaters usually cost? I sometimes wonder if digital is necessary.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The digital systems utilize the same repeaters as the analog systems - the Quantar.

As to why, its called third party equipment suppliers, or so I'm told. The contracts to supply the equipment have expired and these companies have moved onto building newer technologies. Also the newer IP based systems require less equipment than the older analog generation systems.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.