TRX-1 and TRX-2 Discontinued ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I think you need some disclaimers on some of this stuff. Where does Ohms Law state "as VOLTAGE INCREASES CURRENT DRAW GOES DOWN"? For a given and constant load resistance, as voltage goes up CURRENT DRAW GOES UP. 10 volts into a 10 ohm resistor is 1 amp. 20 volts into a 10 ohm resistor is 2 amps and so on. The power consumed also QUADRUPLES in this case

Two similar circuits or scanners can be built that use the exact same amount of power (Watts), one running on 5v and the other running on 10v and then you will have half the current draw in the 10v circuit over the 5v because it was designed that way. In all of your battery scenarios each individual battery has a 2,500ma draw and they should all give the same battery life. The only caveat there is when you use two batteries in parallel, if they are not perfectly matched the discharge life will be reduced due to the batteries fighting each other with one trying to charge the other.

But it is how the LOAD is designed that determines battery life. A 10 WATT load will not last as long as a 1/2 WATT LED.
That is what was taught back in 1979 when I was in electronics school. We built projects with different current draws and timed how long they lasted. I also remember OHMS LAW where it states as VOLTAGE INCREASES CURRENT DRAW GOES DOWN.
All I can tell you is the same setup in each scanner with the same volume level set with a sound meter using the same batteries charged in the same battery charger my 436 last longer than my TRX-1. It depends on how they are put together.
1 Battery = 1.2 volts @ 2500 mil
2 Batteries in series = 2.4 volts @ 2500 mil
2 Batteries in parallel = 1.2 volts @ 5000 mill
ENERGY = CURRENT and current is what does the work.

prcguy

Like I said, you need a disclaimer like "keeping the total power the same, as voltage increases current draw goes down", which is an unusual condition. Without that disclaimer its contrary to ohms law. The statement "as voltage increases current draw goes down" would not hold true for most light bulbs, radios, amplifiers, air conditioners, toasters, etc.

Fast1eddie

All excellent points gentlemen. Let me call it a wrap with this...Three AA batteries or four...It's the logistics of purchasing and storage. No battery manufacturer markets and sells a three pack of AA (perhaps Uniden might if they buy out Duracell) leaving me with a odd battery that despite my best attempts with good storage practices will get lost somewhere.

Just one more PIA. At 59, I think I am becoming a crankerous old man. Miss the 70's terribly and remain several components short to finish my time machine. Was going to Lafayette to get them, but cannot due to the need for a Aginator and Nixgater duplex switch.

73 all

Status
Not open for further replies.