TRX-1 for Canadian user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgeteer2000

Hello all, I am in the Toronto area (Peel) and I am considering to get either the TRX1 or the BCD436. I know that on the BCD I can enter my postal code and the scanner will be set-up accordingly. I also know that this feature does not exist for Canada - so what is the best way to set up a new scanner quickly? Is there a more or less automatic way? Any tips / suggestions from Canadian users? Thank you all!

Reconrider

Don't be lazy and use a "quick automatic" way of scanning. Take the time to program things as you want, and modify names from what RRdb admins have used.
Programming scanners is only a small hurdle.
I don't know your area, but from personal experience, the trx1 is good but not great. The 436 was the base for the sds100 which i do have and it's a great scanner. I would suggest getting the 436. Download sentinel and learn how to use it. The favorite/dept/systems are a little confusing at first, but play with it enough and you'll understand it pretty quickly and how good it actually is.

Gadgeteer2000

Don't be lazy and use a "quick automatic" way of scanning. Take the time to program things as you want, and modify names from what RRdb admins have used.
Programming scanners is only a small hurdle.
I don't know your area, but from personal experience, the trx1 is good but not great. The 436 was the base for the sds100 which i do have and it's a great scanner. I would suggest getting the 436. Download sentinel and learn how to use it. The favorite/dept/systems are a little confusing at first, but play with it enough and you'll understand it pretty quickly and how good it actually is.
Thank you, this is helpful. My issue is the pricing: the DMR / NXDN add-ons make the 436 much more expensive. Is the 436 so much better to warrant the higher price (with the addons)?

Whiskey3JMC

Keep your friends close & your radios closer
Premium Subscriber
so what is the best way to set up a new scanner quickly? Is there a more or less automatic way?
Uniden Sentinel for the 436HP or Whistler EZ Scan for the TRX-1. Both feature the Canada databases from Radioreference

My issue is the pricing: the DMR / NXDN add-ons make the 436 much more expensive.
The paid upgrades aren't a requirement unless you have specific DMR or NXDN frequencies or systems you're interested in monitoring

Reconrider

Thank you, this is helpful. My issue is the pricing: the DMR / NXDN add-ons make the 436 much more expensive. Is the 436 so much better to warrant the higher price (with the addons)?
You only need DMR and NXDN if you have any near you that you're trying to listen to. Whistler is using older tech - which is why my answer will be the 436 in this case.
I have the sds100 so it's not much different but only a few things.

Are you trying to use this "on the go" or just have it sit in the house on a night stand near your bed so you can listen to it?

Gadgeteer2000

You only need DMR and NXDN if you have any near you that you're trying to listen to. Whistler is using older tech - which is why my answer will be the 436 in this case.
I have the sds100 so it's not much different but only a few things.

Are you trying to use this "on the go" or just have it sit in the house on a night stand near your bed so you can listen to it?
Thank you for the reply. My use would be primarily in the house / night stand (connected to a small discone or using a whip antenna) with the rare (exceptional) on the go use.
Re. DMR - I checked Radioreference.com and it seems there are plenty of DMR systems (and also some NXDN) in my area. Will I be able to receive them at all - not sure.
On that note: will my radio give me some indication that the (DMR) system is there (and could be received) - even if I cannot listen to it? That way if the radio receives the actual frequencies I can decide to pay for the update - and if there is no signal then I do not have to bother?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The quick way is a way for a new user to see what there is without spending a lot of time programming. As you listen, lock out the unwanted areas and uploaded the scanner memory to the software. In the software, you can delete the unwanted data and either send the wanted frequencies back to the radio or make a list of the desirable listening and make a new database from scratch. The Canadian version isn't quite as flexible as the US, but still faster than a custom made code plug.

Reconrider

Thank you for the reply. My use would be primarily in the house / night stand (connected to a small discone or using a whip antenna) with the rare (exceptional) on the go use.
Re. DMR - I checked Radioreference.com and it seems there are plenty of DMR systems (and also some NXDN) in my area. Will I be able to receive them at all - not sure.
On that note: will my radio give me some indication that the (DMR) system is there (and could be received) - even if I cannot listen to it? That way if the radio receives the actual frequencies I can decide to pay for the update - and if there is no signal then I do not have to bother?
So the scanner will tell you the frequency that pops up. It will show you what the system is in the top right under the date / time.
With the upgrades, until they are unlocked after paying and inserting the code supplied by uniden via email/the myuniden login website, you will hear an annoying busy tone style beeping -is the only way I can explain it.

Gadgeteer2000

So the scanner will tell you the frequency that pops up. It will show you what the system is in the top right under the date / time.
With the upgrades, until they are unlocked after paying and inserting the code supplied by uniden via email/the myuniden login website, you will hear an annoying busy tone style beeping -is the only way I can explain it.
Thank you. That is very helpful: so I will see the activity and can decide if I want to pay to actually hear what the activity is - but I will see that the radio is receiving it . That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. So I can decide later if I need those add-ons, based on how many signals I see. I think you have convinced me to go for the Uniden.

tyytor

Hi I have both bcd436 and trx1 both have there good and bad, if I had to do it all again i would have gone with 2 trx1's,
The cost of adding the add on's for bcd436 out way the cost of a trx1 imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.