TRX-100 / TRX-200 timeline adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

Ever since Radio Shack went out of business, Uniden seemed to step up on their scanners. they were pretty good but I liked whistler better because Whistler made their scanners very similar to the radio shack scanners (GRE) and Whistler never charges for the upgrades such as DMR / motoTRBO, NXDN, etc. as Uniden charges approx. $75 per upgrade. there is one upgrade Uniden has that whistler don't, and that is the EDACS ProVoice.

Whistler has me waiting and led me to believe they were coming out with a scanner by the end of the year which it don't look like that's happening. had I knew that, I would have purchased the SDS100 when it first came out, Since I have a Motorola XTS5000 7/800 Mhz which works loud and clear on the Philadelphila P-25 trunk system which is where I live. I had it programmed not to affiliate so I wont get criminally in trouble, and it is loud and clear and it is the same radio that Philadelphia Police carry until they recently got new APX600 radios to get ready to switch to the P-25 Phase 2. so it looks like I will be going with Uniden instead of Whistlers radios. since they are misleading and they will never be as good as the Radio shacks scanners before they went out of business.

Marky102770

Whistler didn't mislead. They're seeing the problems with the STD100, and don't want to make the same mistakes. Wouldn't you rather have a scanner that worked as advertised than a radio that is rushed to the customer:confused: A fancy display doesn't make a good scanner.

Larry

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Whistler made their scanners very similar to the radio shack scanners (GRE)

That would be because Whistler purchased the rights to the scanner line from GRE, in fact, the Pro-649, Pro-650, Pro-651, Pro-652 and Pro-668 were manufactured by Whistler.

so it looks like I will be going with Uniden instead of Whistlers radios. since they are misleading and they will never be as good as the Radio shacks scanners before they went out of business.

Just to be sure you're aware, Radio Shack never made their own scanners.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Radio_Shack_Scanners#Models_Manufactured_By_GRE

Speak with your wallet, I am a strong supporter of that, but I'm not sure your need for instant gratification by buying an SDS100 will make you happy. We apparently have the two ends of the spectrum here. The manufacturer that rushed to market with a buggy, underpowered unit and a manufacturer that has delayed release of a model because they made changes and apparently don't want to mirror the mistakes of the first. What we have ended up with is a customer base that is not happy, no matter what they do.

mule1075

Feed Provider

Whistler didn't mislead. They're seeing the problems with the STD100, and don't want to make the same mistakes. Wouldn't you rather have a scanner that worked as advertised than a radio that is rushed to the customer:confused: A fancy display doesn't make a good scanner.

Larry
Please get it right it is SDS100 no need to mislead people posting the wrong model number.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Please get it right it is SDS100 no need to mislead people posting the wrong model number.

His particular reference, in sarcasm, did get it right.

EDIT

Please note that I am only referring to the sarcasm, not the radio or any attempts to correct issues.

scannermike11

Banned
thank you Whistler this will give you time to come up with a fix for the battery problem the Uniden SDS100 has
and to fix the Simulcast problem Uniden also has it is not working everywhere Uniden release the SDS100 to soon before they had fully tested it
and now they have problems with the SDS100 somebody at Uniden made a bad call i have gotten every radio Uniden
has ever made all of them really but not this one because of the problems it has

questnz

Not to flame, but you seem to be the only one who was misled.

Larry

Thank you Larry, statement was clear to most of us. No mistake here. Everybody knows what you are referring to.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRR

N8IAA

Hmmm I sense a lot of jealousy among Whistler owners.

Jealous:confused:
Never was jealous of the x36HP with all of its continuous problems
Certainly not jealous of the STD100 and all of its problems.

Nope not jealous at all. I am happy to wait until next year to see what Whistler will have. Too bad no one has patience anymore.

Larry

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, let's try and keep this on-topic. This back and forth bickering serves no useful purpose.

Thanks.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I say we all boycott the TRX100 and TRX200, until Whistler releases them, then purchase them :)

Paul

questnz

Excellent idea 1+ for that. I rather wait until Whistler are ready release well tested units, very astute and responsible decision. As radios become more and more complex and we are expecting more and more features for less $$$ of course I am sure there is pressure on both manufacturers to deliver best they can. Yes there will be glitches with new Whistlers as well but hopefully not that many as some radios recently mentioned. iCom deferred latest handheld for a very long time since initial announcement and what I read here it comes as a very good receiver with very few complaints. It is also on my sights but only with DMR implementation. So, Go Wendy Go !! many patiently and quietly waiting in the wings. Could be something nice beside Easter Eggs in my house, perhaps Whistler Bunny TRX100 ?
ps Just don't wait until %#@100 MK II of the thingy gets released,

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
The estimated time was given, so when Whistler has an update a new thread can be started.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.