TRX-2 Backlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2asp

1. At present the backlight comes on at "turn on" time, then goes off when the scanner starts functioning in the scan mode, and comes on for only a second or two when the scan stops on a communication. How do I set up the scanner so that the TRX-2 screen backlight is lit at all times when the scanner is powered on or at least at all times that a communication is being received?

2. Using the brief instructions in the User Guide I have not succeeded in varying the light level of the backlight at "turn on" time or when the scanner is in use. Am I not doing something that I should be doing?

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
1. At present the backlight comes on at "turn on" time, then goes off when the scanner starts functioning in the scan mode, and comes on for only a second or two when the scan stops on a communication. How do I set up the scanner so that the TRX-2 screen backlight is lit at all times when the scanner is powered on or at least at all times that a communication is being received?

2. Using the brief instructions in the User Guide I have not succeeded in varying the light level of the backlight at "turn on" time or when the scanner is in use. Am I not doing something that I should be doing?

If you are making changes using the software or the scanner, you have to save the changes.

troymail

Silent Key

I the General Settings tab of EZ Scan, there is a Backlight Settings panel on the left side of the screen. You can change your global settings there.

You can also change these settings on the radio directly in the Program Menu->Global Settings menu option.

Attachments

• backlight settings.png
    backlight settings.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 423

k2asp

Thanks to all for the info. I did find the procedure just after I posted the message and did that, but the "maximum" timeout is 99 seconds - not a long time. Now on to the next issue... <g>

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
TRX-2 Back Light

Speaking of the back light, does anyone know how to get it dim. I'm on the lowest setting and at night it's way too bright. I have to keep the display covered. I have it set to light when channels are active.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Speaking of the back light, does anyone know how to get it dim. I'm on the lowest setting and at night it's way too bright. I have to keep the display covered. I have it set to light when channels are active.

Put a film over it

Ubbe

I'm on the lowest setting and at night it's way too bright.

It must be a design fault. I tried using the TRX-2 in my car when it was dark outside and it lit up the whole interior at the lowest setting and was extreamly annoying. It's the opposite for the Uniden 536 that cannot be bright enough during daytime.

Seems to be difficult to have a 10 cent photodiod and a transistor to sense the ambient light and adjust the displays backlight accordingly, like they do on many 2-way radios and most cellphones and GPS navigators, all things ment to be used mobile, and even my philips television set has that and I really appreciate it when the sun shines into the living room.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

A display backlight are usually controlled be predefined steps by resistors and transistors and cannot be adjusted from software. You will have to change the resistors that feed different voltages to the display.

/Ubbe

BrianG61UK

A display backlight are usually controlled be predefined steps by resistors and transistors and cannot be adjusted from software. You will have to change the resistors that feed different voltages to the display.

/Ubbe

Many microcontrollers have programmable PWM outputs.

Apart from the fact that in this case you have to be careful not to generate RF interference that's by far the simplest way to do it.

Plus if I wave my WS1088 about in the dark I can see that the backlight is being pulsed rapidly so it looks like that is how Whistler does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.