TRX-2 dumb noob questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

theTastyCat

Hey all - just got a TRX-2 - haven't had a scanner since the BCT7 when pretty much nothing was trunked! So it's my first time with a scanner of this type. I've got several dumb questions:

1. NXDN - the only thing I've programmed so far is my local SO, which is NXDN, in Scanlist 001. I get one radio transmission every 10 minutes or so; never a reply or any more than one transmit. Might this be linked to the NXDN issues I've read about elsewhere here? Would removing the control channel fix this?

2. What's the best way to set up Scanlists? Basically local LE in one, local fire in another, highway patrol in another, etc.? Or should things be grouped in scanlists?

3. I commute about 30 minutes every day, so I'm interested in monitoring two different areas. Is there an easy way to do this without having to scan everything all the time? Such as turn on/off several scanlists? Or maybe I need all home freqs in just one scanlist and all work-area freqs in another?

Sorry for all the dumb questions - really looking forward to getting this thing running well!

Merry Christmas!

theTastyCat

Also, if anybody would be good enough to have a look, home is Cheatham County, TN, where the county is on NXDN and there's also TACN (Tennessee Advanced Communications Network) - wondering how best to monitor both of these. Should they each go in a separate scanlist? Is there more I need to do besides import each one of these?

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2438#cid-1905

Many thanks!

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Yes they need to go into their own scan list.
#1. As for the NXDN that is a trunking system I have been wanting to get to the Paris Landing area so I cound see it and try to figure it out this is the system https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8220 you also have to set the type trunking in the scanner. Some of the data may not be correct as we just got NXDN working in scanners.
#2 The TACN system load the Sites that are close to you Kingston Springs or Ashland City then you would want THP D3 Disp 1 and OPs1, TWRA Middle TN, ans all Interop channels. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6355

theTastyCat

Thanks Buddro! Putting them in now. Man, TACN is incredibly expansive - so many different agencies! I thought THP was all low-band stuff...are they now up on VHF/UHF with TACN since there are repeaters all over the place?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Buddro! Putting them in now. Man, TACN is incredibly expansive - so many different agencies! I thought THP was all low-band stuff...are they now up on VHF/UHF with TACN since there are repeaters all over the place?

Yes, THP is switching to TACN (if they haven't already they are in the process...there is a TACN thread (a sticky) under the Tennessee subforum with further).

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
3. I commute about 30 minutes every day, so I'm interested in monitoring two different areas. Is there an easy way to do this without having to scan everything all the time? Such as turn on/off several scanlists? Or maybe I need all home freqs in just one scanlist and all work-area freqs in another?

Sorry for all the dumb questions - really looking forward to getting this thing running well!

Merry Christmas!

Yes, you could have one or two scanlists (let's say 1 and 2 but it doesn't have to be) for when you're "at home" and then when you commute in and get close to the other area you could turn on scanlist 3 (or whatever) and turn off 1 and 2. Following my example, I'd setup "scanset 1" to be scanlist 1 and 2 and then "scanset 2" to be scanlist 3...then you can turn them on and off with the keypad. My suggestion.

theTastyCat

Great. So I've been thinking that PD#1 should be scanlist 1, FD#1 scanlist 2, THP scanlist 3, but really I ought to put all home-specific stuff in a scanlist, all work-specific stuff in a scanlist, and things like THP and statewide stuff in another...is that the gist?

Thanks again!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Great. So I've been thinking that PD#1 should be scanlist 1, FD#1 scanlist 2, THP scanlist 3, but really I ought to put all home-specific stuff in a scanlist, all work-specific stuff in a scanlist, and things like THP and statewide stuff in another...is that the gist?

Thanks again!

Well, there is a thing called a "scanset" which is a set of scanlists you can turn on and off (anywhere from 1 scanlist on up to all of them). These are easily setup in the EZ Scan software and you can change them as you figure things out. So, you can go ahead and put your PD in 1, FD in 2, etc., and then the things on the TACN system in another scanlist.

Then, your first "scanset" can be your home stuff (which would scan each of the scanlists you assigned to the scanset) and the second could be whatever you want to hear when you are halfway through your commute or whatever. Make sense?

I have some scansets that just have one scanlist in them and then I have some others that have 5 or 6 scanlists. You can name the scansets so if you go into the menu on the scanner to select them it will say whatever you named each set, for ease of operation.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
It was late last night and I said something backwards. The scan lists can be turned on and off with the keypad. This is covered in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.