TRX-2 Long Squelch tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

On my TRX-2 with the squelch set at 9 the squelch tail is acceptable but this setting of 9 sets the squelch threshold to high and weaker transmissions that I want to hear are squelched out. Dropping the squelch down to 8 or 7 brings on the long squelch tail problem.

I too have reported this to the whistler many months ago and nothing has been done. :mad:

Yes, this is exactly the problem.

mrkelso

An email about this problem has been sent over to the Engr to look at. I got this from a high up source

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
By the time they fix this problem I'll be ready to sell it to get one of the new mobile scanners that may actually work on a phase II LSM system. Good grief.

mrkelso

I am holding out for a fix or I won't be buying anything new from them. Same goes for Uniden.

nanZor

A modern car has a lot of electronic "smog" and my experiance are that it mostly appears in VHF and LO-VHF.

Yep - in some of my mobile installs, both the Unidens and Whistlers get hit hard by the junk emanating from the dash.

One solution, with antennas in the rear of the vehicle, is to use #43 type (30-300mhz) ferrite chokes near the input of the scanner, AND near the feedpoint of the antenna itself.

That got rid of much of the common-mode interference hitting the coax braid, and eventually traveling back down inside the coax to the scanner.

Mag-mounts are particularly prone to common-mode interference, so we drilled holes (gulp!) for a good quality nmo-type mount.

Still, in stubborn cases direct reception by the antenna itself, and not the common-mode problem of the braid, can lead to head-aches no matter what.

mrkelso

I solved the problem of the long squelch tail.
I took the scanner off line and replaced it with a Uniden 536HP

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I wish the 536 had a remote head or I would do the same thing. Big disappointment with the Whistler product and their lack of support for it.

mrkelso

Does the WS1095/1098 have the same squelch tail problem?

Neither of mine do. I've tested them both against the TRX -2 and only the TRX-2 would give the LONG squelch tail. All 3 were programmed to the same channel

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Turn the squelch more clockwise then the normal "just till white noise stops"

Ubbe

You actually have to go two clicks more to get rid of the squelch tail. My scanner close squelch when I turn it up to 8 but I need it on 10 or it will sputter and open too early in the VHF band.

/Ubbe

mrkelso

The Squelch dial does nothing to fix the problem in my case. Whistler has let ALL TRX 2 owner don on this one. No more!!

Status
Not open for further replies.