Trying to connect BC246T to Win10 PC - no luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

aircatheavy

Hello,
I have a BC246T and want to use FreeScan to program it.

Problem is, I can't get it to work with ANY of my PC's

Could be I'm on a version that is too old? 2.10 (current is 2.60)

But if I cannot get ot to work with a USB cable, how will I ever be able to update the firmware or use FreeScan with it?

I've tried installing just about every version of Prolific I could get my hands on includeing ONE claiming to be a 64 bit version 3.2.2 (didn't work either)

In fact, I have not yet been able to get the Prolific driver to even show up in the device manager.

Maybe I have a bad cable? (It's older, like 10 years old maybe 12 years old even)

Do I have to have the correct USB cable just to even get the Prolific driver to show up inthe device manager?

Thanks

Kb2Jpd

Contact manufacturer. get most recent software. Get the proper drivers for your usb card.
It happens. Welcome to the world of Windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I have a BC246T and want to use FreeScan to program it.

Problem is, I can't get it to work with ANY of my PC's

Could be I'm on a version that is too old? 2.10 (current is 2.60)

But if I cannot get ot to work with a USB cable, how will I ever be able to update the firmware or use FreeScan with it?

I've tried installing just about every version of Prolific I could get my hands on includeing ONE claiming to be a 64 bit version 3.2.2 (didn't work either)

In fact, I have not yet been able to get the Prolific driver to even show up in the device manager.

Maybe I have a bad cable? (It's older, like 10 years old maybe 12 years old even)

Do I have to have the correct USB cable just to even get the Prolific driver to show up inthe device manager?

Thanks
Which USB cable are you using? Uniden's USB-1, or one that you got off eBay or perhaps Amazon.

The original Uniden USB-1 cable had problems with WIndows 10 & drivers. The current model supposedly corrects that.

If you bought your cable from eBay, there have been sellers on the site that advertise that their cable is the same as Uniden's, but they really are not. They have the correct end on the cable, to connect to the scanner, but they lack the internal chip that converts the USB into a serial port, which is what the 246T requires.

Read thru this past thread, and see if this sounds like the cable you received.
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...party-usb-prgraming-cable-not-showing-up.html

Also take a look at this Wiki page.
Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

aircatheavy

Thanks for all the help guys.

I've tried all the drivers recommended on this page as well as a few others such as one specifically for 64 bit systems and rechecked the Transfer settings, however, several things are always consistent.....

USB Device not recognized
and
FreeScan could not establish communication with the scanner

and in DeviceManager....
When I plug the Scanner in with the USB cable, in addition to the USB Device Not Recognized Error, I get an Unknown Device under Universal Serial Bus Controllers that complains that Device Descriptor Request Failed

I haven't used the scanner for several years but IIRC, it worked last time I used it but it was on a Windows Vista PC

Last edited:

aircatheavy

Which USB cable are you using? Uniden's USB-1, or one that you got off eBay or perhaps Amazon.

The original Uniden USB-1 cable had problems with WIndows 10 & drivers. The current model supposedly corrects that.

I've had this cable so long, I don't recall where I got it.
Perhaps I need a newer version cable?

If so, from whom should I purchase it to ensure I get an authentic cable?

Anyone familiar with ebay seller bluemax49ers ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/161294798687?ul_noapp=true

Last edited:

aircatheavy

Wow..it's going to cost $40.00 to get this simple cable from ScannerMaster.com

If any of that serves to support this forum, money WELL spent....otherwise I have to look for a less expensive alternative.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Wow..it's going to cost $40.00 to get this simple cable from ScannerMaster.com

If any of that serves to support this forum, money WELL spent....otherwise I have to look for a less expensive alternative.
$27 and change on Amazon for the USB-1 cable.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Do you have a DB-9 RS-232 serial port on your computer? If so, do you have the RS-232 serial cable for the scanner? That's what it was originally designed to use. No driver software required, it just works.

I never understood why the PC industry almost did away with the serial port. Today's high-end PC's still have them. I use mine all the time for all kinds of things.

Attachments

• 4c8b3a45c1fe10bef5913f2592ee7266 (Phone).jpg
    4c8b3a45c1fe10bef5913f2592ee7266 (Phone).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 115

aircatheavy

Do you have a DB-9 RS-232 serial port on your computer? If so, do you have the RS-232 serial cable for the scanner? That's what it was originally designed to use. No driver software required, it just works.

I never understood why the PC industry almost did away with the serial port. Today's high-end PC's still have them. I use mine all the time for all kinds of things.

I guess the current thinking is that USB made RS-232 serial ports unnecessary. But I agree. There are situations where one would be great to have. None of my newer PC's have them. I think you can purchase an add on board to install one.

aircatheavy

I went ahead and purchased a new data cable off of ebay and it instantly worked. So relieved.

Apparently as mentioned many times, the OLDER cables may not work with the latest Windows Operating systems.

Thanks to all who assisted.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I went ahead and purchased a new data cable off of ebay and it instantly worked. So relieved.

Apparently as mentioned many times, the OLDER cables may not work with the latest Windows Operating systems.

Thanks to all who assisted.

Excellent! If you ever do have a need for a serial port on your desktop PC and you have an available open expansion slot, Ebay has tons of them at very reasonable prices.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
I found my old cable was not working when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10. A new cable was found on EBay, guaranteed to work. It did. My BC246T is programmed through Butel ARC 246 software. Been in service since 2004.

Ubbe

Some older ships used in USB cables are no longer supported in Windows and there was some fake/counterfit chips used that also got blocked.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.