• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Trying to listen to burnaby RCMP/VPD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi its been over 10 years since I had a scanner to listen to Burnaby RCMP/VPD. My understanding is theres digital scanners to listen again. Any recommendations on a handheld scanner. Also i think i read next year they will be using a different system so I would prefer to buy a scanner that is capable to listen in when that happens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

So i read the uniden bcd436hp handheld should be able to listen to burnaby and vancouver police but then a few people said all lowermainland police are encrypted and wont be able to listen. Pleae help Im confused.

So the 436hp with $50 add will work. If they become encrypted sometime soon I'm guessing the scanner would be useless for listening to burnaby/vancouver police.

So the 436hp with $50 add will work. If they become encrypted sometime soon I'm guessing the scanner would be useless for listening to burnaby/vancouver police.
Correct. Once Ecomm builds and moves to its 700MHz P25 phase 2 system they will most likely be encrypted. If they encrypt you will be out of luck listening to th

kayn1n32008 any idea wen there moving to 700Mhz. I think I saw it was for 2017 but just want to make sure. U also mention 'most likely' be encrypted. Is there a possibility they might not encrypt.

kayn1n32008 any idea wen there moving to 700Mhz.
No idea.

U also mention 'most likely' be encrypted. Is there a possibility they might not encrypt.
Although nobody knows yet, 99.999999% chance RCMP will be 100% encrypted. They are replacing their analogue VHF system used through out the rest of the province, with a conventional P25 system and where it has been done, they are 100% encrypted.

Most likely VPD and all other municiple police forces currently using Provoice on the EDACS system will be encrypted as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.