Trying to tune in the the Apco25 system Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

petey1

Please excuse this question as I am a novice with scanning. I bought my first scanner back in 05 (pro 95) and about 3 years later upgraded to the pro 96. I gave up on it when everyone went to the Apco25 and went encrypted (nothing to listen to).

Now my town as moved the DPW to the system and I am trying to tune in.

How exactly does the system work? ie: If I was right next to a truck with my scanner would I get their voice from the antenna on that truck or would I receive it from fixed antenna(on a tower)?

Based on information on the web Narragansett's Antenna is less than a mile from my location, yet signal strength is showing at most 20%. I manually tuned to 853.87500 watch the scrolling bottom line of the screen. 96: T0102, Bee00, SY197 and then a %. I get higher % (I assume that's the signal) with the ATT off on the control.

Suggestions to get stronger signal or suggestions on better antennas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

petey1

Before I spend $30 for a new cable that works with my new computer I wanted to see if it does work at all.

I went to an empty bank and programmed in just the control chan. I get garbled stuff once and while and sometimes some voice on non encrypted talk groups (state police and if I recall, Newport PD) not enough to even turn the scanner on though. During the storm, I heard nothing from the town's DPW.

I have the 800mhz and drove to the top of hill close by (no change), but when I put on the original antenna I think the % went up (peaks at 30% once and while)

petey1

puzzleriddle

Thanks for the info. Do I have to program it with software for the rebanding to work right? I have firmware 1.3 ( heard 1.4 is not as reliable in this are). I did notice that if I drive 2 miles north of here I actually heard things on the Apco25 system

I am not against buying a new USB cable /win 96 for it but I just don't want to invest $60 and still be at the same spot, although it may allow me to get more for it on eBay.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Details

Please excuse this question as I am a novice with scanning. I bought my first scanner back in 05 (pro 95) and about 3 years later upgraded to the pro 96. I gave up on it when everyone went to the Apco25 and went encrypted (nothing to listen to).

Now my town as moved the DPW to the system and I am trying to tune in.

How exactly does the system work? ie: If I was right next to a truck with my scanner would I get their voice from the antenna on that truck or would I receive it from fixed antenna(on a tower)?

Based on information on the web Narragansett's Antenna is less than a mile from my location, yet signal strength is showing at most 20%. I manually tuned to 853.87500 watch the scrolling bottom line of the screen. 96: T0102, Bee00, SY197 and then a %. I get higher % (I assume that's the signal) with the ATT off on the control.

Suggestions to get stronger signal or suggestions on better antennas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

First of all, I don't know which system you talking about. I also don't know the city or county in question or what agencies you want to monitor. This might shed more light on your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.