Trying to understand HEX and DEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBrake41

Hey guys and gals. I am trying to listen in to my local FD. I found the dispatch freq but when i go to find the different TAC channels, all the site gives me is DEC and HEX and i dont know what freq to use or what the DEC and HEX numbers mean.

I attatched a screen shot of what i see on here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-23-18-21-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-11-23-18-21-23.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 331

kma371

QRT
That is a trunked system. It's not one single frequency, it's many different ones and switches based on the informaton the control channel transmits.

You would only need to enter the decimal numbers for scanner programming.

You would need to let us know what scanner you are trying to program to assist further.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Depending on the model of the radio or scanner you're programming, you need one or the other.

How to find out? Easy.

Try to enter a talkgroup with alpha letters in it, like, for example. 1A.

it takes the number with the A in it, use the hex IDs.

If it won't allow you to enter a letter, then you use the decimal IDs.

Hex is base 16, decimal is base 10.

You've lived with decimal all your life. Numbers 0 thru 9. Nothing new there.

But hex has 16 values, which are 0 thru 9 and then A thru F. A is 10, B is 11, F is 15.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Somewhere in your scanner's settings, you'll probably have a field to choose between using Hex or Decimal values for the talkgroup ID numbers.

I daresay most folks choose decimal. Once you have chosen your format, you'll have to stick with it, or do a lot of re-programming.

Just guessing, but the only reason the hexadecimal format is offered is for those "purists" (not meant to be derogatory) who are really blessed with with the ability understand and can convert from one to the other in their heads.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are actually some professional users of the db, as I understand it, and they prefer the hex values. No, I don't have speciic examples - just what I have been told second-hand Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.