Trying to update firmware in Pro 163.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyPDX

Hello, I'm very new to scanning. I paid for the premium subscription to RR and I thought that included the ARC300 software, but it says "Trial Week" or something like that. Anyway, I can't get the thing to upgrade the firmware to 108. I have the version 101 boot-something or other, and version 107 firmware. The cable I got with the scanner was a 20-546, not the 047 or whatever one that's mentioned in other posts. But it says it's for this model scanner, and it plugs into the PC/IF jack (with adapter). It seemed to be loading the scanner when I went to the "Read" option, but it didn't say anything on the scanner at the time, so I really don't know if it's even working there. This is very frustrating. I went the the "View" web page and hit "Download", but it doesn't seem to do anything except go to a page that gives incomplete instructions. I'm getting the weather report and a few pre-programmed channels, but that's not what I want to listen to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

I'm in Portland, OR, Multnomah County, using Windows 7 - 64 bit if that helps. I've set up the 64-bit drivers for the USB cable from the disk that came with the cable.

Keith_W7KEW

The ARC300 software does not update the firmware. ARC300 software programs the radio which you can do by entering the information yourself or use radioreference.com by subscription. The Radio Shack USB cable comes with a pigtail 3 inch adapter. Do NOT use the pigtail with the PRO-163 scanner for any reason.

If you need to update the firmware in the pro-163 then go here:
PRO-163 1000-Channel Triple Trunking Mobile/Base Scanner - RadioShack.com
Select the 'product support' tab.
Download the Oct 7, 2010 files, read the PDF file, run the program and follow the instructions on the screen.

ScottyPDX

Trying to Update Firmware -- Pro 163

Do NOT use the pigtail with the PRO-163 scanner for any reason.

Without the pigtail, it won't plug into the jack. The jack is 1/8" and the plug w/o the pigtail is 1/16".

Also, I didn't try to upgrade the firmware with ARC300, I used the "Product Support" tab and did just what you said. It says "Not communicating with Scanner" when I change the port to "3", which is what it says in the device manager. Do I need to change any settings for the "Advanced" section under the device manager?

N1BHH

Without the pigtail, it won't plug into the jack. The jack is 1/8" and the plug w/o the pigtail is 1/16".

Also, I didn't try to upgrade the firmware with ARC300, I used the "Product Support" tab and did just what you said. It says "Not communicating with Scanner" when I change the port to "3", which is what it says in the device manager. Do I need to change any settings for the "Advanced" section under the device manager?

Actually you are incorrect. The adapter at the end converts a stereo 1/8 inch into a mono 1/8 inch plug. This radio requires the use of a stereo 1/8 inch plugged into the PC/IF jack on the radio. If the radio isn't communicating with the computer, it won't work, mostly because of the adapter being used. You need to follow the directions precisely. See this: Pro-106 - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
And upgrading the firmware requires following the power-on button presses exactly as the instructions in the included files say. It's not as simple as plugging in the cable and copying the file... Gotta read and follow the instructions from the Radio Shack support documents.

My 20-546 cable has an 1/8 inch stereo plug on the end which fits the PC/IF jack fine. The pigtail adapter is for converting it to mono for certain older scanners. Don't use it with the Pro-163.

ScottyPDX

Well, is my face RED! Upon re-examination of my cable, without the pig-tail, it sure is 1/8" stereo!! I don't know how I could have made that mistake, but thank you both for the advice. I sure have a lot to learn about scanning in general, but it takes time and practice, and hopefully not too many blunders like this one...

BTW: I did get it to upgrade as soon as I plugged in the cable without the pigtail.

shadcall

And upgrading the firmware requires following the power-on button presses exactly as the instructions in the included files say. It's not as simple as plugging in the cable and copying the file... Gotta read and follow the instructions from the Radio Shack support documents.

My 20-546 cable has an 1/8 inch stereo plug on the end which fits the PC/IF jack fine. The pigtail adapter is for converting it to mono for certain older scanners. Don't use it with the Pro-163.

What are you talking about. When I upgrade the firmware for both my 163 and 164 I just click on the link and a box pops up telling me I'm about to upgrade and asks if I want to continue. I don't do any power on button presses and never read the directions and mine upgraded just fine.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Oops. I was confusing it with the firmware updates for the Pro-106/Pro-197. Those scanners hace specific keys you need to press during the welcome message display to update the CPU and DSP firmware and they're both different. I guess my memory of the Pro-163 procedure is a bit fuzzy. It's been a few months since I did it last.

Status
Not open for further replies.