TV Digital Optical out to Soundbar with S/PDIF input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillside1

Premium Subscriber
New Samsung 4K TV only has one audio out port which is digital optical. My older Vizio soundbar has a S/PDIF input. Is there a converter for this?? TIA

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
This looks like it should fit the bill, though I can't vouch for it since I've never used it, however, eBay does have some good reviews on it.

DAC Optical Toslink SPDIF Coaxial Digital to Analog RCA Audio Converter 3.5mm 733180335982 | eBay

If you search eBay for the search terms minus quotes, "optical to spdif." you'll find all kinds of solutions.

Here's a tip. I like shopping mostly on eBay myself because I don't have Amazon Prime since I don't buy enough from Amazon to merit it. But I often find items on eBay cheaper by comparison and often times with free shipping with no Prime required. Then sometimes, and for some strange reason the seller on eBay ships your item via Amazon! LOL I imagine they may put an end to that, but at present it doesn't bother me so long as I got it cheap, with free shipping and it actually came in three days or so.

Something else I'll do is compare the same product/s' reviews at Amazon and eBay and use this site to gauge the reviews for quality. Note, this website doesn't give a score on the product its self, but the overall quality of the reviews on whether there's deception involved. www.fakespot.com

Now for some useless information in case you were wondering. LOL SPDIF stands for Sony Philips Digital Interface.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Note that if this is a "smart TV" they are indeed a hack vector. I'm more inclined on using the stream abilities in my Blu-ray drive and/or my Rocku. If you connect your TV to the Internet, wait about a week or two and then check this site out: Internet of Things (IoT) Scanner - BullGuard

It basically just uses a Shodan API, but I present that link for simplicity sake. If you are good in computers and want to help rectify the situation, check out the PFsense firewall. In fact, you can buy thin clients on eBay with PFsense already installed. Again, PC dorkage applies. LOL :D

Hillside1

Premium Subscriber
This looks like it should fit the bill, though I can't vouch for it since I've never used it, however, eBay does have some good reviews on it.

Looks like it might work. Digital audio in and my soundbar does have RCA L & R inputs. Just ordered. Will let you know if it works. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.