TV Interfering With Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanaholic

Last April, we bought a Sony 40" HDTV, Model KDL-40S2010. It has been a great set so far, but since a few months ago, it has started putting out strong interference on my Pro 433 Shack scanner (hi band).

I thought at first, something new around this apartment complex was doing it. I caught a signal on the high band, where the interference is, switched off the TV, and it got clear as a bell! Strong hi band signals aren't affected much, other than hearing a low level hiss. Weaker signals, like simplex ambulances going to the hospital, that lousy TV is completely wiping them out. I heard an ambulance while ago, switched off the TV, and it came back on the radio loud as ever. The radio sits nearly 15 feet away from this obviously-malfunctioning TV. I know there are supposed to be FCC rules regulating this type radiation from a set. It's always in the back of the manuals, be it for a TV, scanner, whatever.

I have been in touch with the dealer who sold me the set, and he is waiting to hear back from Sony about this problem. I may contact them myself. I know good and well that set was not doing this when we first got it, because I remember the scanner working fine.

Living in an apartment, the built in scanner antenna is all I can have. We have always had a scanner going with our TV to keep up with what's going on.

Has anyone else here ever had scanner interference from an HDTV?

Thanks-

(If this the wrong forum for this post, please feel free to move it, but kindly let me know where it went.)

SCPD

QRT
There are so many things to check. It is possible that the emissions from the TV - while annoying - are within FCC limits. For starters ...

Move the power cord for the radio and/or TV to different outlets.

Unplug any unnecessary video / audio cables from the TV (VCR, DVD, camcorder, game system).

Move the radio - to a different place in the room or a different room.

Move the TV - to a different place in the room and/or point the screen in a slightly different direction.

scanaholic

Hi, Unitrunker-

I will sure try that stuff. Might just be something that will cure it. We do have a DVD hooked on plus our HD box from the cable co. I tried turning off that box too, but it was clean. May need to move some furniture around, but it would be worth it to get the problem solved. I just now emailed Sony on their site about it. Out of all this, something is bound to fix it.

Thanks a bunch-

scanaholic

Well, I just tried my little handheld radio moving around the room with that interfering monster, and I couldn't get out from under the radiation from it, no matter where I got. And this is no small living room! I found the WX station in Sweetwater which is weak enough to test with. Set on, it would try to come in, then go right off. Set off, got it fine! I keep thinking maybe something in the set that is supposed to filter that stuff has quit working. It sure wasn't doing this when we first got it. Anyway, I'll keep thinking of things to try til we hear from Sony. I just hope the neighbors don't have a scanner, with the "full gallon" signal that thing's emitting, it's probably getting in theirs as well.

scanaholic

Hi, and thanks, Lou.

Well, I just got the following response from Sony: Here's the verdict:

Customer,

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I understand that your Sony Television is causing interference to your Radio communication. Based on the information provided, it appears that your unit requires service. I recommend that you have the unit serviced at one of our Sony Authorized Service Centers. You can find repair information and initiate service for your TV at:

http://eservice.sony.com

Your Sony Email Response Team
C79B

I fwded it on to the dealer, so it looks like I've got a sick set.

Thanks for your help and for reading.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I should have commented when I moved the thread.

My HDTV (a Phillips) causes no RFI at all that I can detect. When visiting with son #2 who has a Sony HDTV I didn't notice any RFI on the 396T, but I will grant that is a pretty limited set of data.

scanaholic

Howdy, Lou!

That says a lot that your set doesn't do that. The crazy thing last night and today, has seemed to be not as bad. Must be something in there that varies, whatever the problem is. I tried to get it to act up for the repairman, and it did "some", but not as much as I wanted it to. Just like a kid, it wouldn't do it's stuff for a visitor.
biggrin.gif

scanaholic

Well, the TV was taken in last week to the dealer. After getting it down there, they couldn't find any harmonics with my handheld scanner. He called me down to try it myself. Nothing heard.

They brought the TV back, and it remained good. Now, last night and this a.m., I am having a bit more interference from it, not as bad as when it was taken in, but more than when they brought it back on some, but not all high band channels.

A theory I have is the set being unplugged maybe resets something. So, since getting it back, I am unplugging it at night after it's turned off. Why the harmonics seem a bit stronger this a.m. on certain frequencies, I have no idea. A Sony tech told the dealer none of their sets cause interference. Really!? I have the only one made that does, apparently. It seems worse at some times, better at others.

If anyone has any ideas about why the set does this, I'm open for suggestions. It is a mystery, and a frustrating one at that. I did find a strong signal field with the handheld scanner on the righthand side of the screen. It maybe coming from something in that area.

Last edited:

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
scanaholic said:
Well, the TV was taken in last week to the dealer. After getting it down there, they couldn't find any harmonics with my handheld scanner. He called me down to try it myself. Nothing heard.

They brought the TV back, and it remained good. Now, last night and this a.m., I am having a bit more interference from it, not as bad as when it was taken in, but more than when they brought it back on some, but not all high band channels.

A theory I have is the set being unplugged maybe resets something. So, since getting it back, I am unplugging it at night after it's turned off. Why the harmonics seem a bit stronger this a.m. on certain frequencies, I have no idea. A Sony tech told the dealer none of their sets cause interference. Really!? I have the only one made that does, apparently. It seems worse at some times, better at others.

If anyone has any ideas about why the set does this, I'm open for suggestions. It is a mystery, and a frustrating one at that. I did find a strong signal field with the handheld scanner on the righthand side of the screen. It maybe coming from something in that area.

any difference when watching an analog channel input converting to digital or pure digital signal? I'm no EE, but from computer-land that AV/DV converters can be very "noisy" also a possibility of any type of built in signal amplifier that turns on after some time as you may be getting a low signal from the cable company? Again, dont know TVs, but know from working on computers that there are many "features" that tend to pop up and the techs never even knew about it.

cpuerror

Maybe its not the TV's fault at all. Does it use a 3 prong plug? If you have an intermittent ground to the TV then that might be causing the interference.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
cpuerror said:
Maybe its not the TV's fault at all. Does it use a 3 prong plug? If you have an intermittent ground to the TV then that might be causing the interference.

good point. In my apartment I have three prong outlets that have no ground!:lol:

scanaholic

Hi, guys-

No, Dan, I've tried switching back and forth between digital and analog, and can't tell a difference. Even turned my HD box off an on. Weird, but I just put the handheld back up to it, and nothing heard that time! It seems to be a come and go thing. Sometimes I think turning the set off and on a few times changes things. I hear this loud static crash when it goes off or I turn it back on, then as it warms up, some up and down hash on a weak signal. Something is flip flopping around in there, sounds like, kind of a restless "creature" in there.

It is a 3 pronger, cpuerror. I guess it could be an intermittent ground. Would that cause it to act up only when the set is on? I unplug it off the back of the set at night. May be something about a fresh reboot every day that will maybe keep it from getting as horrible as it was when they got it. Night before they picked it up, it was so bad, you could hear high pitched tones on some pretty strong signals from it.

Thanks-

CQRover

Do you have interconnecting cables attached to the TV.. audio in/out, video, etc.? Did they have all of these cables plugged in at the service bench? Could be that the cables are radiating RFI from the TV. Try unplugging cables one by one while listening to the interference. If that seems to be the cause, try wrapping each cable through a toroid near the TV in/outs. Also, try the toroids on the AC to the TV.

Bill KW8KW

scanaholic

There are all kinds of cables from the DVD, HD box. About 5 alone for the HD box. It seems better right now, just like when they brought it back. I still think it's something within the set for it to be strong that one time while ago at the right side of the upper screen. I don't guess I know what a toroid is, CQRover, one of my "dohhh!" moments. Pardon me on that.

scanaholic

Ten four on the donut. Made me hungry.
grineyes.gif

I may try that if it keeps going up and down on the scanner. Never hurts to try different things.
Thanks, CQRover.

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
I have a Sony w/ HD as well... Never encountered anything of the such...

If the TV was working at the store, and when you brought it back, and fluctuates as you claim, are you sure it's the TV itself? Could it possibly be something with his mains (outlet)? Also could sound funny, but does it do it on all the channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.