TVA Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbird

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any information on the location of tower sites for TVA Police?
Thanks.

ecps92

Scroll down below the map, it's a very informative Wiki Page

Yes sir.
I may be missing something here but all I see is the location of facilities.
I get the strongest signal and audio on 169.625 PL 123.0 in West KY and curious as to tower site.
Thanks

catbird

Premium Subscriber
Yes sir.
I saw the information with lots of ? marks and no listing for 169.6250 with PL 123.0 and 169.6750 with PL 123.0
Thanks

ecps92

Looks like you found some possible new info.
Keep listening, make notes and then when confirmed
submit the info.....

Yes sir.
I saw the information with lots of ? marks and no listing for 169.6250 with PL 123.0 and 169.6750 with PL 123.0
Thanks

catbird

Premium Subscriber
Hearing various 200 units calling 300 dispatch. Anyone with any info on where 300 dispatch is located? Not listed on Wiki.

dukeblue021

I understand the TVA Police to operate out of three regions.

Eastern Region - dispatch in Knoxville (200)
Northern Region - dispatch in Nashville (300)
Western Region - dispatch in Chattanooga (500)

Of course there are many sectors and sub sectors, but these are the three main headquarters.

mdgjedde

I thought I read somewhere that the TVA Police transmissions were encrypted...I suppose that wasn't correct.

catbird

Premium Subscriber

Of course there are many sectors and sub sectors, but these are the three main headquarters.

Thank you for the reply. Any information you can add would be most welcomed.

mdgjedde

At one time they were digital and encrypted, they reverted back to analog for some unknown reason.

Okay, thanks. I must have seen an outdated notation, but I can't remember where. It's good to know...something new to listen to. Perhaps this is (yet another) case of a high-tech radio system being more trouble than it's worth.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.

As of March 2011 TVA Police & Physical Security operates two security control centers.

TVA: Emergency Assistance

200 - Knoxville (Eastern)
300 - Chattanooga (Western)

The former Northern Sector was 400 and was at Paris Landing instead of Nashville although Nashville was in it's coverage area. The former 500 was actually located in Muscle Shoals, Alabama and covered Chattanooga.

As other monitors have noted, at this point in time TVAP is operating in analog mode and is not encrypted.

Last edited:

catbird

Premium Subscriber
As of March 2011 TVA Police & Physical Security operates two security control centers.

TVA: Emergency Assistance

200 - Knoxville (Eastern)
300 - Chattanooga (Western)

The former Northern Sector was 400 and was at Paris Landing instead of Nashville although Nashville was in it's coverage area. The former 500 was actually located in Muscle Shoals, Alabama and covered Chattanooga.

As other monitors have noted, at this point in time TVAP is operating in analog mode and is not encrypted.
Do you have any sector and or sub sector information?
Do you have any updated tower location information?

Thanks

catbird

Premium Subscriber

Thanks
That information makes sense of the fact that I have only heard various 200 units and 300 units on 169.6250 and 169.6750 both with 123.0 pl tones in W.KY / S.IL
"263 to 300, 10-17 at Rutherford 500"
"296 to 200 , 10-8 at KY Dam and 10-96 to Shawnee fossil"
I take it that 200 units are not restricted to Knoxville area as well as 300 units are not restricted to Chattanooga area.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.

Thanks
That information makes sense of the fact that I have only heard various 200 units and 300 units on 169.6250 and 169.6750 both with 123.0 pl tones in W.KY / S.IL
"263 to 300, 10-17 at Rutherford 500"
"296 to 200 , 10-8 at KY Dam and 10-96 to Shawnee fossil"
I take it that 200 units are not restricted to Knoxville area as well as 300 units are not restricted to Chattanooga area.
When I left going on a year ago TVAP was in a major state of reorganization. I’m not sure the dust has yet settled concerning final determinations of sector lines. I’m told that the reorganization is still a day to day thing even now.

The terminology for boundaries is Districts and Sectors. (I should have said Northern District instead of Northern Sector in my last post.) As of right now the four former Districts have been reorganized into two, Western & Eastern. As for Sectors, I really don’t know anymore. I like that subtle change ( first seen on the TVAP website) from “Communication Centers” to Security Control Centers”. Guess I missed out, eh?...NOT!

As I understand, assigned Sectors to each Security Control Center are not specific to a District. You will hear 300 talking to 200 units and vice versa. I assume this mainly applies to Sectors along the District border lines and to more evenly distribute dispatch duties.

The TVA Wiki is fairly accurate in terms of frequencies and tower site locations for the organizations listed. Please understand, I’m not comfortable with contributing anything to the Police portion due to those type documents being marked “Law Enforcement Sensitive” by my former employer. While employed in the former Muscle Shoals Communications Center, I kept any eye here for the first post from an alert listener to determine that we had switched from digital to unencrypted analog. Surprisingly it was just over a year. Since then, y’all have been on a roll!

I will say that the move from digital to analog was because of equipment incompatibility. Work was begun to modernize and move toward newer technology. There are elements of about three different radio brands meshed together. Unfortunately the radio system is still in as much a state of flux as the whole reorganization. I’m confident that we will be able to listen in on a regular basis for a long time to come, maybe even to the end of the agency as we know it!

What it comes down to boys and girls is money… where to spend it and does TVA really want to spend it on this current organization?

Last edited:

catbird

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the information that you have provided.

I found an online list of TVA Location Codes & Official Postal Mailing Addresses. Not sure how dated it is.
It has Chattanooga, Appalachian, Muscle Shoals, and Pickwick Sectors listed.

Thanks again!

catbird

Premium Subscriber
While in Sevier County I heard TVAP on Grainger, Knox, and Sevier County sites all with 103.5 PL tone.
Here in S. IL I hear TVAP on ?????? sites with 123.0 tone
According to what I can determine from the Wiki database all Knoxville area sites use 103.5 tone
All Chattanooga area sites use 110.9 tone
All Muscle Shoal area sites use 118.8 tone
Elementary information to most but a revelation to me!
Still curious as to the sites in Western TN

Status
Not open for further replies.